Undergarments ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mainedvr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So more of a share than asking questions but input is always appreciated....

So have dove my drysuit now for the last few months been really enjoying it even when I get a leak its much better than being completely wet and my base layer keeps the moisture more or less away from my skin so I do not even notice (unless big leak) till I unzip and a breeze hits me or I take them off and feel it.

The quandry I am in now is I have two undergarments a DUI polartec 200g which I have used twice now and a Waterproof 200g, that I have used twice also. Up till now my base layer has been enough insulation.

The DUI is cozy but bunches up no matter how I put it on and while it repels water somewhat it starts to absorb after mulitple dives.

The Waterproof, though it advertises venting and what not seems to be so bulky that the air does not move up to my exhaust as freely as I would like, and the collar well it chokes me a bit till I get in the water then seems to be fine. It is very cozy too and repels the water better than the DUI.

The Waterproof was decent price point under 200 bucks the DUI came with the used drysuit and is a deal too. Before I go and spend big money on an undergarment could use some input about thinsulate and its pros and cons or anything else. I mostly dive Southern California waters 50-70is recreation dives but mulitple dives in a day if I can.

One thing for certain I now know why drysuits are such a big deal.... I love it.

Thanks

You say the collar chokes you. Do you mean the neck seal? Is it neoprene, latex, or silicone? The latter can be trimmed a bit. Not sure about the other two. Too tight is very bad. Does it leave a tight line around your neck?

You might want to try the fleece undergarments. I love Fourth Element.

You say the collar chokes you. Do you mean the neck seal? Is it neoprene, latex, or silicone? The latter can be trimmed a bit. Not sure about the other two. Too tight is very bad. Does it leave a tight line around your neck?

You might want to try the fleece undergarments. I love Fourth Element.

The collar is on the undergarment it has a high collar kinda like the preppies wore their polo shirt collar up. I have Neoprene neck seal and that is fine when I dive my base layer only. No it does not leave a tight line.

My DUI polar teck is fleece.

The DUI is cozy but bunches up no matter how I put it on and while it repels water somewhat it starts to absorb after mulitple dives.

The Waterproof, though it advertises venting and what not seems to be so bulky that the air does not move up to my exhaust as freely as I would like, and the collar well it chokes me a bit till I get in the water then seems to be fine. It is very cozy too and repels the water better than the DUI.

The Waterproof was decent price point under 200 bucks the DUI came with the used drysuit and is a deal too. Before I go and spend big money on an undergarment could use some input about thinsulate and its pros and cons or anything else. I mostly dive Southern California waters 50-70is recreation dives but mulitple dives in a day if I can.
My undersuit is a combination thing: 200 gsm thinsulate, with fleece on the inside. It's really warm, I only use a thin wool wicking layer under it down to 7-8C (~45F) water. If it gets colder, I add with some more wool on my torso and can easily do 45-50min dives down to 4C/40F.

About moisture: Since you're basically hermetically sealed inside your DS, where do you think that your perspiration goes? It ha no place to go, so it will condense in the outer layers of your undersuit, where the warm vapor meets the cold inside of your drysuit. IMO the best option is to use wool inside the undersuit, and make sure to take off the drysuit - at least from your torso - during the SI to let some of that condensation evaporate.

One thing for certain I now know why drysuits are such a big deal.... I love it.
Welcome to the dark side :)

The collar is on the undergarment it has a high collar kinda like the preppies wore their polo shirt collar up.
Sounds rather awkward. I can't remember having seen undersuits with collars higher than a crewneck. Higher than that, and you'll have issues between the undersuit collar and the neck seal.

My undersuit is a combination thing: 200 gsm thinsulate, with fleece on the inside. It's really warm, I only use a thin wool wicking layer under it down to 7-8C (~45F) water. If it gets colder, I add with some more wool on my torso and can easily do 45-50min dives down to 4C/40F.

About moisture: Since you're basically hermetically sealed inside your DS, where do you think that your perspiration goes? It ha no place to go, so it will condense in the outer layers of your undersuit, where the warm vapor meets the cold inside of your drysuit. IMO the best option is to use wool inside the undersuit, and make sure to take off the drysuit - at least from your torso - during the SI to let some of that condensation evaporate.

Welcome to the dark side :)

Sounds rather awkward. I can't remember having seen undersuits with collars higher than a crewneck. Higher than that, and you'll have issues between the undersuit collar and the neck seal.

this is the undies notice the collar..
http://www.leisurepro.com/p-wpguwt2/waterproof-warmtec-200-g-7-oz-fiberfill-undergarment

if i may hijack a question on under garments .i to wear a thin wick layer and then a fleece out layer under my fusion 1 drysuit ,(just got so still have not tried yet,need to take drysuit course)and have thin pair of wick socks i would think i would need a pair of wool or fleece for over top?

if i may hijack a question on under garments .i to wear a thin wick layer and then a fleece out layer under my fusion 1 drysuit ,(just got so still have not tried yet,need to take drysuit course)and have thin pair of wick socks i would think i would need a pair of wool or fleece for over top?

Yes, you'll need a thicker pair of socks on top. I love the Fourth Element Arctic socks. I don't do wool at all. Makes me itch.

I don't do wool at all. Makes me itch.
Depends a lot on the quality. There are some pretty fantastic wool undergarments on the market these days that don't itch for >95% of the users.

And it's - of course - a personal choice as well. I'll happily accept some wool itching if that's what it takes to get the fantastic properties of wool when - not if - I get damp and/or wet.

I've tried various types of wool and it all makes me itch. If it makes me itch with regular clothes, the last thing I would want is itching under my drysuit. Yuck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom