Undergarments for sweaty tri-lam suit diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im currently taking several skills courses (tech and rescue) and doing practice dives to work those skills. I want to do it all in my full kit so that means BM Doubles and dry suit. Water temps are 80-88*F with surface temps 95*+. I have been wearing only my Fourth Element base layer and thin wool socks. When I get done diving I’m soaked but comfortable, I still need to dry the inside of the suit for a few hours but the base layer keeps most of the sweat and I’m still comfortable for a full day of diving.

when it’s colder I simply layer up. I have all 4th Element undergarments as that what my LDS sells. I very happy with ever piece I own. It took me a year to slowly buy it all.

Wool is the way to go. Merino will stay warm and wick moisture. Aclima, Devold or Ullvang are quality producers of well used and tested by Norwegians both in and out of water. Homepage Aclima Merino wool underwear - Devold of Norway, Ulvang - We are wool! | Ulvang

My personal choice is Aclima and Devold. (I do 3-4hr cavedives in 4c water in normally warm Norwegian summer 20-25 on surface)

There are also a few tricks.
Dress in shade.
Hit the water before you gear up.
Gear up.
Do all checks in water.

What kind of water temps?

Me, I've retired one undersuit and now have two other. One for warm-ish summer water (>10-12 degrees water) and one for the winter (down to 3-4 degrees water, haven't dived colder water than that yet). There's some items in my diving wardrobe I guess I could do well without. A good undersuit is something I won't do without.
Hello. The "Temps." are in my post.
Cheers.

Im currently taking several skills courses (tech and rescue) and doing practice dives to work those skills. I want to do it all in my full kit so that means BM Doubles and dry suit. Water temps are 80-88*F with surface temps 95*+. I have been wearing only my Fourth Element base layer and thin wool socks. When I get done diving I’m soaked but comfortable, I still need to dry the inside of the suit for a few hours but the base layer keeps most of the sweat and I’m still comfortable for a full day of diving.

when it’s colder I simply layer up. I have all 4th Element undergarments as that what my LDS sells. I very happy with ever piece I own. It took me a year to slowly buy it all.

The 4th Element undergarments were just as great investment as the drysuit itself. Can't speak highly enough of the quality and performance in a range of conditions. (I mostly teach in a spring fed quarry in Maryland where temps below 30ft. hover around 50-60 degrees year round)

Thanks for everyone's feedback.
I went and bought a set of merino wool undergarments and another of "techie" winter undergarments.

I tried the merino set last week and it felt much better.
I got in the water (after dripping sweat from the walk) and didn't feel the claminess I usually get when the water compresses the undergarment on my skin.
At the end of the dive in the 5m region (when my suit is nearly empty and the undergarment is again pressed on my skin) I didn't feel anything.

Great suggestions.

i just picked up a set of UnderArmor warm weather tops and bottoms...wore those under my 4th element layers yesterday when air temps were in the high 90s.....was incredibly comfortable all day.

definitely worth a look.

I typically use UnderArmour "Cold Gear" under the DS insulation as a base layer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom