Undergarment suggestion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catone

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
new to PNW diving, looking forward to getting in the water here soon. I have many questions lined up but I'll start by asking what the adequate undergarment should be. I only dove warmer waters (62F and above) and my Pinnacle Black Ice (4mm crushed neoprene) with a tshirt was enough. I use a 7mm dry hood and 5mm wet gloves. Any suggestions?
Thank you!

I have been using a CF200 suit and have found that I can use anything from T-shirt and shots, sweat pants and shirt, Heley hanson underwear or weazle wear thermals. It al depends on the water temp and length of time at depth, as well as how hard you are working . The coldest I have been in to date is 6 degrees Celcius, guess that would be about 40F or there about. I will usally have a few ways of going, including if I happen to flood the suit there is dry stuff to put on afterwards.

Dove just this week in a crushed neoprene suit. Wore two layers. Thermal long underwear and a micro fleece layer. Dry hood and wet gloves. At 48 f at 81 feet for 30 min dive, my hands did get cold. could have used another layer if i stayed any longer.

Thermal tolerance is so different from diver to diver, that it's hard to make a good recommendation.

My husband dives a 2mm compressed neoprene suit, and uses the 4th Element Arctic undergarments. He's pretty comfortable in the summer (55 degrees) but gets cold in the wintertime, and adds Argon for suit inflation below 50. With my 2mm compressed neo suit, the Arctics weren't nearly enough. The Pinnacle is 4 mm, so it has more insulating properties, so the 4th Element stuff might be just right for you (or it might be too warm). It's nice stuff, because you can throw it in the washing machine (as opposed to Thinsulate, which has to be babied).

A lot of divers here use the Weezles, and maybe the lighter weight one might be good for you.

Water temp 68-71 degrees in the winter time and I decide to dive dry because the air temp was in the upper 50's to mid 60's in the AM. Can make a boat ride cold.

I dove CF200, regular fleece booties and for thermals, I wore these: REI Heavyweight Polartec Power Dry Crew - Men's at REI.com which were recommended here.

Perfect combination, no hood by the way and thin gloves.

When I dove water temp 34 F up to 60 F, I wore the 300wt DUI http://www.dui-online.com/dw_action.htm and was comfortable. Although even with dry gloves and liners, 34 F to 48 F is just too cold.

I dive dry with a Weasle in hood canal (mid 40's) with cold weather underarmor underneath, 5mm hood and gloves............and i dont get cold...................but everyone is unique, I typically am warmer than most.........

I can't say enough good about the Weasle undergarments. Typically I'm in the water for 3-4 hours when I'm with students on an openwater weekend.. The Weasle has made it 100% better for comfort and warmth. I have the booties as well for my feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom