Undergarment recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm skinny and get cold very easily. I'm using a Diving Concepts 200g Thinsulate undergarment with a layer of fleece long johns under it. It's not quite enough, and I think I'll be adding a Thinsulate vest over the top of it, when I can figure out where to buy one. (Water temps low 50's)

I am not a drysuit diver yet (working on it). However, I talk to any number, and I have never heard ANYTHING but praise for the Weezles. I have had my hands on them and they look marvelous. I had also laid hands on the DUI stuff but never the diving concepts stuff.

For my money, I will use polar fleece until I can buy the Weezle stuff and probably never look back.

Two words about the Weezle . . . the fine nylon taffeta on the outside can become adherent to the drysuit exhaust valve and impede venting (been there, did that). And the insulation, though EXTREMELY warm, requires quite a bit of loft, so you are managing a fairly large air bubble in your suit. As a novice diver, I found I simply couldn't deal with the buoyancy issues the Weezle presented (and even the instructor who lent it to me admitted that, during her ascents, she has to go completely vertical and pause and wait for air to move up and get it vented and then proceed with the ascent). This was the reason I went with the Thinsulate instead. PF, I'm pretty sure that the DIR people would frown on the Weezle for that reason . . . their discussion of undergarments warns against things that trap excessive air.

I'm using custom cut Diving Concepts TPS Thinsulate Extreme with a Diving Concepts Thinsulate vest when it gets colder.
TPS Thinsulate Extreme may be to warm for you but the TPS Stretch Thinsulate may be right on.
http://www.divingconcepts.com/tpspage2.htm

BTW TSandM, you may find a DC thinsulate vest where you got your undergarment from. :wink:

TSandM, interesting comments. I recently did 4 dives with my instructor. He uses a Weezle Extreme. He was also on his rebreather. I never saw him get anything close to vertical, nor did I see him pause in any way to deal with his drysuit. His buoyancy was spot on for all dives, and I didn't notice him doing much fiddling.

Not sure what to say about your instructor. Sorry you had issues with the Weezle. But ya gotta go with what works for you. So if it made your life harder, seek other options no doubt.

TSandM:
Two words about the Weezle . . . the fine nylon taffeta on the outside can become adherent to the drysuit exhaust valve and impede venting (been there, did that).....I'm pretty sure that the DIR people would frown on the Weezle for that reason . . . their discussion of undergarments warns against things that trap excessive air.

I did speak to the Weezles at DEMA. They said that problem occurred with a particular brand of valve, and that particular run of that model had been recalled by the manufacturer.

As for the trapped air, my Weezle traps a LOT less than my old wooly-bear!!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom