Undergarment advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,

I am diving in the US NE region May through December and getting used to my new trilam drysuit.
Have a base layer and a used jumpsuit style undergarments from Whites. Thinking of buying new undergarments which would then be my primary.

Price is a factor for me. I appreciate quality but don't care for possible bells and whistles and inflated price. If paying a premium price is worth it , I'd pull the trigger though.

What is your favorite undergarments and why?

Hey! I'm also divivng in the US NE region during that period, using my new trilam drysuit. I'm looking for undergarments, and was wondering if you decided on anything and have any thoughts about it at this point?

My favorite for under a dry suit is a my soft comfortable track suit. It's a generic brand fleece with a smooth outer layer. I also wear it for pajamas when I'm camping in cooler weather. For cold water, I add a pair of thermal long johns. Of course I won't win any style points between dives, and I have no high-end dive gear logo. All I'm interested in is comfortable and easy to get dressed in. It's also nice if I can put it on at home and drive to the dive site wearing it without being overly self-conscious.

I'm curious about this - I see people talking about 4th element undergarments ($$$$) and then people talking about track suits. Of course when it comes to money, i'd just get a track suit, like you describe, but I'm guessing that people get the 4th element because they are diving in <50F water and track suit people are diving in warmer water?

Hey! I'm also divivng in the US NE region during that period, using my new trilam drysuit. I'm looking for undergarments, and was wondering if you decided on anything and have any thoughts about it at this point?
So I still use my jumpsuit from Whites which I bought pre-owned. I did buy new baselayer pants and top on ebay. I saw plenty for sale and put in a few best offers which were accepted. If you go with 100% merino wool, you'll have the best baselayer at a fraction of the price than what the scuba brands charge. I paid 20 dollars each for merino wool 250 pants and top. Try that from Fourth Element...

So I still use my jumpsuit from Whites which I bought pre-owned. I did buy new baselayer pants and top on ebay. I saw plenty for sale and put in a few best offers which were accepted. If you go with 100% merino wool, you'll have the best baselayer at a fraction of the price than what the scuba brands charge. I paid 20 dollars each for merino wool 250 pants and top. Try that from Fourth Element...
Right - but that is undergarments, I'd still need a baselayer, which would probably be the 4th element

Right - but that is undergarments, I'd still need a baselayer, which would probably be the 4th element
Just go to REI or EMS and get a merino wool base layer of any brand. Doesn’t have to be a scuba brand. Smartwool or icebreaker are good.

For the undergarments if you are cold tolerant the 4th element Arctics will work well around here for most of the mid season stuff. I recently switched to a 4th element halo AR suit which I really like however I was also looking at the Rofos thinsulate suits which can be had for a fraction of the price. Fathom dive systems sells those on their website.

Merino wool base layer with Fourth Element Arctic. Alpaca socks and Ragg wool glove liners.

Do you get the Ragg wool ones that have the thinsulate layer in them, or just the plain ones?

Examples:

Thinsulate ones: Plain ones:

Wool is heavy, traditional drysuit undergarment “weights” mean very little, a quick read

I find 250 to be ok as a base/mid layer and finding heavier is not easy.

Wool has some advantages over synthetics, like not soaking up stink and it still offers some warmth when wet (ish) but takes a bit more care, good stuff.

It’s best used in a mix of materials, if you can find the old type ECWS polypropylene and add it over or under wool it’s the base for some good insulation.

Do you get the Ragg wool ones that have the thinsulate layer in them, or just the plain ones?

Examples:

Thinsulate ones: Plain ones:
Just the plain ones. I tried Thinsulate without much success as they delaminated.

I've beat the hell out of White's undergarments with no complaints. The Mk3 works very well under 10c and Mk2 above.

Back
Top Bottom