Undercurrent Magazine questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that PEOPLE cause accidents??? How preposterous! To lay blame where it must truly lie is NOT an American concept.

Tony,

One of the home remedys that I always used is to eat some yogurt everyday when traveling overseas. I haven't had any problems with "turista". I try to do as much preventative actions as reasonably possible because I don't want a business or pleasure trip ruined. We are all probably more vunerable to something contagious just being on a commercial aircraft. My Doc refers to them a "Plague Ships".

Regarding the Undercurrent article, The Australian study defines dive incidents. Dive incidents don't necessarily result in death. Dive incidents also don't necessarily result from equipment failure but misuse or incorrect use of equipment. I believe that the Australian study supports what the DIR folks have been expounding. The primary point I was attempting to make is that Undercurrent has the guts to publish such an article.

DSAO,

Larry

Cool,no problem.I have tendencies towards extreme Libertarianism.I believe RSD chronicles a dive incident in detail every month.It does take guts to make a stand.I know from watching the process that often investigators will leave some ambiguity in a report to either allow for the family to retain dignity or even some legal footing .Few folks come right out and say "X was an idiot " As far as home remedies my mom gave us 7-up or ginger-ale.As a result of all this travel and Tex-Mex/Korean family I can eat anything and drink the water anywhere now.

Today I started reding some of the articles available to non-subscribers online at undercurrent magazine, and I found them to be very good reading and very informative.

Online, they describe their magazine as a 'newsletter'. For some reason, I get the impression in my head that a newsletter is a 10 page folded-in-half paper that is stapled together. Unfortunately, they have no images of their magazine and I cannot find any copies anywhere to peruse.

I just subscribed to Rodales, but I wanted to get 1 more subscription - and they charge like $40 for 9 months! I wonder if anyone that has a subscription could explain some things to me...

Are there photos? (Their site doesn't have any)
Is it a true magazine?
How BIG is the 'newsletter' pagewise?

Overall, is it worth it?

I really don't understand their marketing strategy, as my LDS doesn't even carry the mag - so I can't look at it anywhere to see if it is worth the $$.

Any help?

Addict once bubbled...
Online, they describe their magazine as a 'newsletter'. For some reason, I get the impression in my head that a newsletter is a 10 page folded-in-half paper that is stapled together. Unfortunately, they have no images of their magazine and I cannot find any copies anywhere to peruse.

The one I have here in the office has 16 pages. but they don't fold it in half. No pictures. Good articles, but most of them are about travel.

I subscribed for one month last year and didn't think it was worth it. A lot of the info particularily with gear I found to be dated info and not that great. I think you can get way more info "free" here on ScubaBoard. Just my opinion of course.

Addict,

IMHO, a subscription to Undercurrent is a good value. The publisher, Ben Davison, doesn't have advertising to supplement the cost so that's why the subscribers foot the entire cost.
The issues are typically 16 pages. The contributing writers are real divers, such as the world famous Doc Vikingo, and the writing is objective and sometimes downright blunt.
As part of your subscription, you annualy receive a copy of the Chapbook. This is a compilation of subscriber's comments and critiques of locations and dive ops. This alone is probably worth the subscription fee.

I find Undercurrent one of the better values. Hope this answers your questions. Just my $.02 worth and I have no vested interest in Undercurrent.

DSAO,
Larry

I agree with Daylight. I've subscribed for years and have always been happy with it. I think the chapbook alone is worth the price. Besides where else will I find the collected writings of our own Doc Vikingo.

Undercurrent is more of a newsletter format with articles on travel, equipment, recalls, diver deaths, etc.

The annual diver's Chapbook is composed of reviews from divers all over about dive ops -- including how they were treated, how the vis was, guided/non-guided dives, how to contact, etc. We've used it for many places BEFORE we've gone and really had some terrific trips.

Regards,
Margaret
(Counting the days until Saba .... 11 left til we leave)

I agree with Larry, and the rest. I first ordered it because of our own DocV being a contributing writer. Of course I love to read anything he writes. And I enjoy the the chapbook too.
Go for it!
PS The 40.00 is a great value. Heck, you could lose that in 30 minutes in any slot machine in Vegas.

Back
Top Bottom