• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Undercurrent is Temporarily Suspending Publication

Discussion in 'Dive Industry News' started by KathyV, May 13, 2020.

1. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board Staff Member

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Let no good deed go unpunished, right?

2. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    When you are starting up again, I'm going to subscribe. It is just 5 tank fills for me.

This thread is just too much nonsense.

ibj40, shoredivr, tridacna and 3 others like this.
  3. Diving Dubai

Diving Dubai Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    That's a good and valid point. when you see online reviews, you've no idea of the diver's relative experience. If they're a new diver, they might be excited by it all, but a seasoned diver not so much

I try and caveat my opinions with my relevant experience. I tend to visit places that are more challenging which wouldn't suit a newer diver, and try to say so without trying to be overly dramatic and elitist.

I like your reviews, I'll never visit those places since they're not on my radar, but its nice to read, I can also appreciate all the hard work you put in. I have a number of half written trip reports on my computer that I've not had the time to complete, or lost interest...

drrich2 and scubadada like this.
  4. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

drrich's trip reports are works of art.

gbf, Rainer, Scraps and 2 others like this.
  5. scubadada

scubadada Diver Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    In fact, this applies to most all SB posts. Some divers have vast experience, some posters have none. All responses are mixed up, you should take care in interpretation. Personally, I often find responses from poster with little experience to be useless.

6. chillyinCanada

And yet those same responses can be valuable to other new divers. It's all valid input. The readers merely need be discerning.

drrich2, scubadada and RayfromTX like this.
  7. Cert1967

Cert1967 Let's Go Skiing ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Supporter

Undercurrent - public information

Sources

CA Sec State
    GuideStar.org

GuideStar Summary

Undercurrent Inc
    San Rafael, CA|EIN: 20-1660757

Publication Is The Only Ad-Free Scuba Diving Magazine For Divers. Undercurrent Provides Subscribers With Reader Reports, Equipment Reviews ... Other Related Information, All Available At No Charge. The Undercurrent Board Of Directors Has Expanded The Purpose Of This Corporation ... Issues Specific To Scuba Diving Worldwide. The Web Site "undercurrent.Org" Is Divided Into Two Areas. Public, And Members. <<>>

GROSS RECEIPTS = $3,414,305
    ASSETS = $5,408,259

Undercurrent 2015 schedule O form 990.png

Attached Files:

8. Shasta_man

Shasta_man Contributor

I am no accountant but in 2017, they took in about $4M. But they gave away about $4M, and paid themselves 62 grand for doing it.

Is there an Aha here?

Don`t get much call for tax records round here...

scubadada and RayfromTX like this.
  9. chillyinCanada

Oops, wrong thread.

10. Cert1967

Cert1967 Let's Go Skiing ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Supporter

Welcome to the world of 501(c)(3) - commonly referred to as 'charitable organizations'. Charity, often viewed from the eye of the beholder.

Sounds good, right? But when you look at many of these organizations you may decide that they bear slim resemblance to the Little Sisters of the Poor.

Like any business, it costs money to run a 501(c)(3). Raising big donations costs money, requires travel, entertainment, and of course, employees must be compensated.

$62k in the non-profit world? Not much money. 2015 the number was $67k.

Now you may wonder, what happened to the $3.7m they gave away? Well, the money went to Sub-Saharan, African Wildlife. How did African Wildlife spend the money? You can only hope it was spent wisely.

For comparison, you may wish to review Wildaid, Inc. EIN 20-3644441. In 2018 they brought in big donations and paid Peter Knights, CEO, $317,500, plus other compensation of $47,424. Wildaid also paid significant sums to contractors.

990s offer some insight into the operations of 501(c)(3) organizations. A careful reading shows money coming in and going out, what happened on the 'out' side is often the question.

In the case of Undercurrent, Editor Ben Davidson hasn't written much about Ken Smith. Searching the site for Kenneth Smith returns a reader review of Bonaire, but little else. Search for "Keneth L Smith", returns "no pages".

Where is Ben's article about Ken? The pubs "Undercurrent Online's Current Upwellings" would seem a good place to explain the seeming change of direction at Undercurrent.

Undercurrent.Org bills itself as the "The Independent, Nonprofit Guide for Serious Divers Since 1975". The California SecState shows that the entity "Undercurrent" was incorporated, by Kenneth L Smith, on September 7, 2004.

Anyway, the numbers would seem to show that UC's subscriber base is about 5,100, down a bit over the past 990 reporting years. Not bad, considering the small size and growth change of the scuba industry.

2017, 990, A-F, Principal Officer, Kenneth L Smith, San Rafael, California

990, Page 3, Part III, Section A., Public Support, Line 1, Gifts, Grants, Contributions

2013- $9,076
    2014- $11,911
    2015- $243,743
    2016 - $1,581,56
    2017 - $3,739,692

Line 3, Gross Receipts from activities that are not an unrelated trade

2013- $219,918
    2014- $210,151
    2015- $203,954
    2016- $202,420
    2017- $204,337

2017, 990, Page 2, Sch F, Part II, Grants <<>> Entities Outside of the United States

Sub-Saharan, African Wildlife, $3,959,017, Wire Transfer

Who's Kenneth L. Smith? Among other pursuits, principal officer for

International Court for the Environment Coalition
    EIN 27-2065069
    IRS granted tax exempt status in 2010
    No 990s available guidestar

Perhaps this Kenneth L. Smith?

Attached Files: