Under Water Sports Tacoma shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NeMEed

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking for opinions on the Underwater Sports in Tacoma shop?

Good shop? Bad?

I'm not certified yet, but am looking at getting my open water certification through this shop. Has anyone had any past experience with these guys?

I got a chance to meet the manager (shop owner??) Mike Adams, he seems pretty knowledgeable and friendly. Any personal experience with him as far as his ability in diving and is he a good teacher?

Overall I'm just looking for opinions on this shop. If it's a good place and good people to learn from or if I should look elsewhere?

Thanks!

The best thing you can do is:
Talk to the actual instructor. Most shops around here have many instructors and they all have different styles. Go with the instructor that you are most confortable with.

Ask the shop how many other students are in the class?, Will your intructor have any help (DM, AI)?

Also, look at the condition of the shop's rental equipment.

Mike Adams is a good instuctor(by rep)...UWS is a good "chain" of shops... If ya want a really good instructor, interview a few and pick one. Bob Bailey is good as well. He is (NW)Grateful Diver on the boards...
Good luck to you.
Kirsten

Thanks for the advice! :) I went to a few different shops and I think I found the one for me! They have a class really soon too! It's a pretty small class and I like the instructor. :)

I took my OW cert with Chris Nichols through UWS Tacoma. He is a good instructor, tries to keep things relaxed and lively in the classroom. He makes certain that you get all the skills down, but he didn't hit me as anal-retentive about doing them exactly perfect (exactly right and exactly perfect are different).

The guys at the store are always friendly and courteous. I should really stop in there more often.

I took my OW cert with Chris Nichols through UWS Tacoma. He is a good instructor, tries to keep things relaxed and lively in the classroom. He makes certain that you get all the skills down, but he didn't hit me as anal-retentive about doing them exactly perfect (exactly right and exactly perfect are different).

The guys at the store are always friendly and courteous. I should really stop in there more often.

I didn't have Chris as my instructor, but my instructor was pretty much the same. Good teacher and really made you get the skills, but was really patient and not too demanding. :)

I'm gonna go there Monday morning to rent some gear for my dive at Alki. :)

I did Cove 1 two weekends ago and had a blast. Bob (NW Grateful Dive) showed me around and gave a lot of awesome advice. I met TSandM as well.

Oh! Back on topic ....

ummm....

Yeah. UWS Tacoma is great.

:D

I did Cove 1 two weekends ago and had a blast. Bob (NW Grateful Dive) showed me around and gave a lot of awesome advice. I met TSandM as well.

Oh! Back on topic ....

ummm....

Yeah. UWS Tacoma is great.

:D

I'm going to Cove 2 with TSandM! It should be a lot of fun! :) I'm really excited to meet her and dive there! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom