Under Water Communication Equipments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yotsie:
Our through water system is much clearer than our hardwired system and we've had less problems with it.

We don't, that's why our through water system is primary. We only use the hardwire system when the incident calls for it.

Your through water is clearer than your hardwire? That's interesting, but not in my experience. May I ask what you're using? It surprises me sometimes how well the through water works at times, but, it's hard to beat sending a signal through conductors instead of the electronics translating voice to signal, sending it through the transmission medium (water) by ultrasound and then the electronics on the other end translating this signal back into audible communications. Either way, communications are an invaluable tool for public safety diving and any other work required underwater.

mntdiver:
Your through water is clearer than your hardwire? That's interesting, but not in my experience.
It's a fact!

mntdiver:
May I ask what you're using?
Through water is OTS MKII BUDS BuddyPhone affixed to AGA. We use the OTS SP-100D Surface Buddy Phone topside.The hardwired system is a DCS 2A surface supplied air unit mounted in EXO-26 masks.

mntdiver:
It surprises me sometimes how well the through water works at times, but, it's hard to beat sending a signal through conductors instead of the electronics translating voice to signal, sending it through the transmission medium (water) by ultrasound and then the electronics on the other end translating this signal back into audible communications. Either way, communications are an invaluable tool for public safety diving and any other work required underwater.
The technology is getting better all the time. I'd rather dive our wireless system. I've had our hardwired system fail too many times to feel comfortable with it. This is my opinion only and I'm sure others have theirs, but you can't discount the advances in wireless systems.

Yotsie:
It's a fact!
Through water is OTS MKII BUDS BuddyPhone affixed to AGA. We use the OTS SP-100D Surface Buddy Phone topside.The hardwired system is a DCS 2A surface supplied air unit mounted in EXO-26 masks.

The technology is getting better all the time. I'd rather dive our wireless system. I've had our hardwired system fail too many times to feel comfortable with it. This is my opinion only and I'm sure others have theirs, but you can't discount the advances in wireless systems.

There must be something wrong with the system. I don't want come across here as sounding like I think the Buddy Phone isn't a good system, it works great for what it is, a 9 volt powered transceiver. I use them often and it still surprises me as to how well they work.

My guess is that you might have a combination of problems. The earphones for the EXO are suceptable to corrosion, not the best design. The position of the earphones in the ear flaps can be somewhat problematic on exhalation. Can you tell me if you're running your hardwire system in two or four wire mode? What type of microphone is in the mask and what kind of connectors from your umbilical to the mask do you have?

Maybe we can figure out what the issues are and get your system back up and running.

mntdiver:
There must be something wrong with the system. I don't want come across here as sounding like I think the Buddy Phone isn't a good system, it works great for what it is, a 9 volt powered transceiver. I use them often and it still surprises me as to how well they work.

My guess is that you might have a combination of problems. The earphones for the EXO are suceptable to corrosion, not the best design. The position of the earphones in the ear flaps can be somewhat problematic on exhalation. Can you tell me if you're running your hardwire system in two or four wire mode? What type of microphone is in the mask and what kind of connectors from your umbilical to the mask do you have?

Maybe we can figure out what the issues are and get your system back up and running.

My exact point!!! The whole unit including the masks are still out for repair in So. California, so I don't have access to the info you need. The comms on this unit has never worked correctly since we purchased it 12 plus years ago. The air delivery system is top notch, but the comms are cumbersome at the surface unit and unreliable at best. I hate the fact that we're spending money repairing it just for the comms when everything else on the unit works fine. Our AGAs plug right into the surface supply hose and the Buddy Phone can be used.

Not trying to argue, but with the experience I've had and hearing what other local teams have gone through with their hardwired systems, you won't get me to change my mind on our wireless. I know it's limitations and when we do need to attempt our hardwired system, but like I said, the technology is there and we'll use it. :wink:

Paul

bridgediver:
There must be something wrong with your hardwire...

There has been from day one. The manufacturer cannot seem to pin point it and it is again with them for another shot. Been going on for more or less 12 years with this unit. Maybe I can talk the boss into canning it and getting a new OTS hardwire system. :D

Hello, My friend. I am once again extremely grateful for the help, and the answer in length is marvelous. I just come back from Beijing recently. These information are extremely valuable. many thanks again. cheers

I have to concur, I have NEVER seen a situation in which a thru-water system was clearer than a hard wire system.

Yotsie:
There has been from day one. The manufacturer cannot seem to pin point it and it is again with them for another shot. Been going on for more or less 12 years with this unit. Maybe I can talk the boss into canning it and getting a new OTS hardwire system. :D

Who's the manufacturer? Amron?

mntdiver:
Who's the manufacturer? Amron?

Negative, Diving Systems International model DCS-2. It's all Kirby Morgan now. Intergrated air manifold/comm system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom