Uncool PADI - as if we didn't know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerome01

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
While attending the Deep 2010 Indonesia show in Jakarta today (great consumer diving show!), a friend who is a major Komodo liveaboard operator invited me to the PADI booth for a beer. When she saw my SSI shirt, one of the PADI reps told me that the food and beverages were for members of PADI only, and then turned her back on me. Interesting that there were tens of people coming into booth to get free beer, and no one was asked to show PADI credentials. I turned to my friend and told him that this is why dive centers in Europe, Australia, Indonesia, Israel etc. are leaving PADI in droves. PADI have completely lost the plot when it comes to the camaraderie and being part of the diving community, they are just interested in $$$$$.

Jerome Fink
SSI Instructor 49813
PADI DM 983293

Pour
Another
Drink
Idiot

The corporate sydrome of earning as much cash for yourself has hit the diving industry at a very high level. Dont they normally say that it is in the interests of the shareholders.....I have attended many conferences and industry trade fairs and if you know people from the industry regardless they are a competitor or not it is generally a courtesy to offer them a beer.
All I can say is that PADI is obviously very nervous of their position in the market........I would have bought my own beer and stood there with my buddy......Stick it PADI

Was it really a PADI rep or a booth babe? This doesn't sound like something a PADI rep would do, certainly not with PADI's support.

Now, had you said they plied you with beer and signed you up for a crossover while you were drunk...... (just kidding)

PADI has booth babes?:shocked2: I may renew my DM rating!:eyebrow: SEI Diving will be at Scubafest in Columbus Ohio but it will only be me and Tom in the booth.:shakehead: I don;t think either one of us could be considered a babe. But if any Scubaboard female wants to try out for the role send pics to...............:popcorn:

It is kind of sad, I know between 5-10 instructors crossing over from PADI to other agencies, as I did myself 3 years ago. Liveaboard operators are leaving PADI for agencies who actually treat the liveaboards as partners instead of just sucking the life out of them. PADI doesn't even serve beer at DEMA.

Meanwhile, PADI is telling everyone their market share has never been higher, that more divers than ever are getting certified through PADI, and screaming at the top of their lungs that anyone can dive, and that diving is safe. Kind of sad, really.

All certifying agencys are interested in making money.....thats how they survive. (I may be wrong but don't know of any major nonprofit scuba certifying agencys.) That PADI Reps attitude was not only ignorant but rude. She could have used it as an oppertunity to convert you and get you to cross over. You DO have a recourse though....Did you happen to notice the girls nametag??? I would make a formal complaint to PADI against her. She sounds like a newbee trying to showboat.....:mooner: There are jerks in every agency and to judge the agency on the behavior of one individual is like comdemning a whole family because one family member committed a crime.
Peace and great viz,
Red

While attending the Deep 2010 Indonesia show in Jakarta today (great consumer diving show!), a friend who is a major Komodo liveaboard operator invited me to the PADI booth for a beer. When she saw my SSI shirt, one of the PADI reps told me that the food and beverages were for members of PADI only, and then turned her back on me. Interesting that there were tens of people coming into booth to get free beer, and no one was asked to show PADI credentials. I turned to my friend and told him that this is why dive centers in Europe, Australia, Indonesia, Israel etc. are leaving PADI in droves. PADI have completely lost the plot when it comes to the camaraderie and being part of the diving community, they are just interested in $$$$$.

Jerome Fink
SSI Instructor 49813
PADI DM 983293

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom