Uncontrolled ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
So... if you have a leaking inflator into your bc/wing... do you disconnect the inflator hose or leave it attached and keep purging the bc/wing? Is the dive over?

Having had the experience I already know what my answers were.

If it's leaking to the point where my BCD is inflating rapidly and directly affecting my buoyancy, I'll disconnect, if it's hardly noticeable, I'll purge. Either way I'll probably end the dive.

SF

Uncle Pug:
So... if you have a leaking inflator into your bc/wing... do you disconnect the inflator hose or leave it attached and keep purging the bc/wing? Is the dive over?

In my case, I yanked the inflator hose off my bc. Dive over.

Uncle Pug:

Disconnect hose, continue dive. But then, when I was originally trained (1st go-around), we didn't have auto-inflators.

BTW, thanks UP for the reminder. It's been a while, so I think on the next dive I'll only use my wing orally.

Seems like there might be more than one way to acomplish the objective, ie nutral bouyancy with a dry suit.

In diving there is usually more than one way to accomplish any objective (but dont tell a certain group:) ).

Ive contined dives with hoses disconnected before. Manual BC inflation is fine. However if drysuit is disconnected its more fiddly to remove squeeze. Have seen people connect, remove squeeze, disconnect and repeat whilst using BC for buoyancy.

You still have 2 sources of buoyancy. Not sure id to it on a single tank, wetsuit dive often though especially if deep.

String:
However if drysuit is disconnected its more fiddly to remove squeeze. Have seen people connect, remove squeeze, disconnect and repeat whilst using BC for buoyancy.
Squeeze isn't a problem on ascent. And it isn't a big deal to disconnect and then reconnect a drysuit inflator hose either. That is how I inflate my closed circuit lift bag.

As for taking a hit off of your buddies lp inflator I've had to do that a couple of times on descent (when I forgot to take my argon bottle along on the trip and was using a reg without the inlfator hose.) Works great if you are only interested in relieving the squeeze.

I was thinking of descent. Depending on the dive you may or may not notice the problem at a point where you want to go deeper.
Ive buddy shared LP inflator for a drysuit before now. Its definately possible but depending on what else is going on is fiddly.

Uncle Pug:

UP, good questions! I'll tell you what I did.

After finding the cause of the problem, I dumped my BC and was happy to see I could descend to 15ft where I began an extended safety stop. I did not disconnect the lp hose to my bc at that time, but instead continually monitored it and checked the dump function for air. If the leak(which I have now confirmed by a test) had been excessive or beyond reasonable control, I would have disconnected it. By having my new-found knowledge and the situation under control, it was time to relax and begin an assessment of the events and reconnect with my buddy. I completed the stop without incident, surfaced, and gave my buddy the "OK". To answer your second question, the dive was over. My actions to descend again and do a safety stop was my effort to minimize the potential consequences.

Bottom line. Situational awareness is key. A problem such as this ends a dive. I hope those who read this thread benefit from my experience.

Jet

Disconnecting is the appropriate thing to do... but (depending on the dive) the dive wouldn't be over for me. For most recreational dives I would just continue with the inflator unhooked and orally inflate if necessary. Wouldn't hurt folks to practice that. Rick is going to.

Uncle Pug:
Disconnecting is the appropriate thing to do... but (depending on the dive) the dive wouldn't be over for me. For most recreational dives I would just continue with the inflator unhooked and orally inflate if necessary. Wouldn't hurt folks to practice that. Rick is going to.

UP,
20-20 hindsight tells me you are correct. If I had known the cause of my issue before the ascent, disconnecting the inflator hose and continuing the dive would have been the way to go. In my case, I didn't discover the problem until after the harm had been done(my bad) and there in lies the problem(mine). I continue to go over the dive in my head to critique my actions and what I would do differently. Checking my BC is always the most logical answer I get, but at the time it was not. I also will say that I believe it stems from becoming complacient about a dive that I had done so many times before where the site, my buddy, and my gear setup were so familiar. The whole thing reminded me I still have a lot to learn no matter how much experience I have.

After downloading my computer, I found I had entered deco and had also completed the requirments to exit it. Now I feel quite stupid and quite lucky. Please, please, Dive Safe! (note to self).

Jet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom