Uncontrolled ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jetwrench:
If I had only considered All of the possibilties including my BC, you would not be reading this.

JMTC

Jet
Jetwrench has made an excellent post about encountering difficulties while diving. I think the sentence quoted above is one of the more important ones in his post. Don't let a problem create "tunnel vision". Keep a more global perspective about what is going on. In this particular case, a tap on the inflator button on the BC might have stopped it from slowly inflating his BC. Followed by releasing air from the BC and his difficulties would have been solved and no story to tell as he noted.

I too use my suit as my BC device. Have never had a problem nor have had a need for ankle weights. Just lots of practice and I keep my shoulder valve adjusted to appx. 90% open at all times. Through out my ascent I dump air but when entering into my last atomosphere at depth, I make sure that I am in control of my buoyancy and perhaps even a little negative and fin my way to the surface. But in the beginning I had my days of hanging on to things (trees mind you) trying to keep my ankles from breaking the surface. :thinkingo Hope some of this helps.

Respectfully,

JustDiveIt (aka Fred)

I never thought of it before, but yes, what happened to you actually is another argument for using your BC - not your DS - for buoyancy control. If there should be a slow leak of air into your BC, you will vent it on ascent, no problem. If there should be a slow leak of air into your dry suit, it too will vent out as you raise your arm to dump from your BC - again no problem. But if you use your DS for buoyancy and have a leak into your BC, it would not be your habit to dump your BC on ascent and you could have a runaway ascent before you figure out you have the leak - as did happen to you.
Good information.

SueMermaid:
In my limited drysuit experience, I used my BC only for buoyancy control, and used the drysuit inflator/dump only to eliminate squeeze. I maintained as little air in my drysuit as was comfortable.
Is that wrong? I found it to be a bazillion times easier to "feel" my buoyancy using the BC.

No its not wrong. With a properly weighted single cylinder diver you can use either method for buoyancy - there is more than one correct solution so just stick to what you prefer.

Unless its only a few weeks off im not convinced the first dry/first dive of the year should really be to 140ft !
As for stuck inflators - they do happen on both dry suits and BCs. Sand,grit, lack of maintenance can all cause it. If you do keep lifting on a dive and cant work out why then disconnecting the BC and suit inflators should be one of the first things to try then reconnect them in turn and see what happens. Quite often simply disconnecting/reconnecting can fix the problem in either case..

Jetwrench:
I had my first dry suit dive of the year - The dive takes us to 140ft
Good call,

We've all done dumb things, I took a brand new mask for its first dive, on a night dive and the mask strap fell off. First dive of the year in a different configaration or complex equipment requires a cautious dive plan.

I got certified in a dry suit, and was also taught to use my DS for Buoyancy control. This proved difficult, as I felt light often before I could purge. I later learned that while I was 'taught' one way, there was a perfectly acceptable other method. (though the feeling was it was too confusing to use both). This seemed odd to me, as I have found that using my BC is a much easier method for control.

To each his own--BC just works best for me.

As for stuck hoses, I had by BC inflator hose stick open. I took it back to the shop and they replaced the hose--after debating with me that it was really not-functioning because they couldn't re-create the problem. ;-)
Anyway, I got a recall notice from the manufacturer for the same part 2 months later.

Good replies from all of you! Let me elaborate on the situation a bit more and also give you my take on the outcome.

First, I was trained to and always have used my DS for buoyancy control as it increases the thermal protection and comfort where I normally dive.(36 degree water temp on this dive. To each his/her own). I know the routine quite well. I am aware of the slower dump properties of my suit vs my bc so I dump early and often upon ascent and open the valve almost all the way for ease of release. My technique in this case, however, was not the driving force in this issue as I have since learned that it was the lack of weighing "All!" the possibilities as the cause of the problem that percipitated the event.. A short phone call to my instructor revealed he had the same suspitions. I feel, after all is said and done, I was lucky to not be hurt, remembered what to do, and reacted as best I could with calm and resolve to correct the situation. I made good and bad decisions in the span of seconds and there in lies the reality. Does the good overcome the bad? In this case, it did.

So, my point in posting this experience was to show that it(whatever "it" is) can happen to anyone, so pay attention to ALL of your gear. Just because it was fine 10 minutes ago doesn't mean it is now. Be aware! Pay just a little more attention than you normally do and remember this senario if you ever find yourself in a similliar situation.

Dive Safe, Please!

Jet

Thanks for sharing JetWrench,

I'll re-enforce what others have said. Since it's been beaten to death, (lots of times by me :wink:) using a DS for buoyancy is a matter of personal preference.
Hopefully this experience will alert you and any others who dive dry and use their drysuit for buoyancy, not to forget about your BCD. Regardless of whether you use it or not, it's an air space that can become a potential hazard.

Take care

Scubafreak

So... if you have a leaking inflator into your bc/wing... do you disconnect the inflator hose or leave it attached and keep purging the bc/wing? Is the dive over?

Having had the experience I already know what my answers were.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom