Uncontrolled Ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

river_sand_bar:
I still wonder why the dive continued after an uncontrolled ascent??? What if there was a real emergency and the top side boat couldn't leave cus they were waiting for the dive to finish...

Nobody saw the ascent. One moment he was there and the next moment he was gone. The instructer started to call the dive then we saw him get picked-up by the boat. We didn't know about the uncontrolled ascent until we got back into the boat.

Am I wrong in thinking that if I can not decend and needed that much weight that I should abort the dive and go back to the boat anyway?

I am thinging a pound or 2 would be ok but if I need an extra 5 then I am not doing something right.

Un-expected / uncontrolled accents - every divers night mare.
I'm not an instructor but frequently take newly certifed diver's or people that haven't been wet in a year or more, out on my boat. Mostly young airmen who are egar and sometimes in the bullet proof mode. That being said - I've witnessed a couple of uncontrolled accents -but not from 90+ft. The more likely senario with the new diver is OVER weight. Any way sounds like you are one who wants to error on the side of caution. GOOD ON YOU

I don't know that an uncontrolled ascent is really a "nightmare." It can be a little sporty but it's not really all that scary. Dump your BC and try flattening out and spreading your arms and legs to slow down. If that doesn't slow you enough, just point your head towards the bottom and fin a bit. That'll do it.

-Charles

Should have said every dive buddies worse night mare! All of a sudden your neophyte dive buddy ain't there. Now your worried. Couldn't even hear his screams on his way up! he just forgat to dump his BC. About the time I was accending, here he comes on his way back down. Good thing there wasn't much current that day. It was a 50' dive on Stage 2 off Panama City.

> Just an update...the guy is fine and more embarassed than anything else.

Good to hear. Much better to be alive and embarrassed than dead.

I have a real hard time getting down at the start of a dive. I imagine, though, that if his weight was okayish and he added 5 lbs, that he had so much air in his BC to offset the overweightedness, that when the 5 lbs fell out, the air in his BC had a PARTY! Reasons to get your weight right in the first place. And reasons to keep your wits about you- dump the extra air and start flailing your arms and legs out like a mad man to slow your ascent- okay I just had to say that for the mental image...!

I hope the guy is okay- and now we all have another incident to learn from...

I never put ANYTHING in my BC pockets! Mine don't zip- one is just open and the other uses velcro. If I put something in a pocket, it's gone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom