uncomfortable tiered

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arie888

New
Reaction score
HI,

Sometimes I make 2 recreational dives (no deco) on a day. I feel OK after the last dive but after a couple of hours I feel realy tiered. Sometimes I get so tiered that I feel realy uncomfortable in the evening and I'm getting afraid I got DCS. I use a Suunto Vytec RGBM deco computer and added a p1 (1+) profile in it and keep within the no deco-limits. My age is 30 and have a average condition.
Why am I feeling so uncomfortable tiered and how can I convince myself during this moments that DCS is not my problem>? I planned to go on a live-aboard dive vacation soon and don't want this psycological problem to ruin it.

Arie - I dont believe that this is a DCS issue. I'm the same age and condition and had experienced that with a few dives. I examined what occured before, between, and after dives and I discovered that I was neglecting to stay adequately hydrated. In addition I found I was not hydrating enough before a dive. I've since started by drinking lots of water on the way to the dive, eating something as simple as a banana or some crackers, etc, and drinking yet more water between dives helped out significantly. AFTER dives I also consume something and continue to rehydrate. Since I started this routine I feel refreshed and still full of energy after my second or third dives. Its actually very similar to my cycling routine of my early and mid-20's. :)

Hope this helps you out!

Arie, I take it you're referring to your dives in general and have no general ill effects at all in between dive days or in the morning, just a general sense of fatigue following a day's diving?

As non-medical opinion, if you think about it, you get up in the morning, you dive (i.e. physical activity), you get dehydrated through vasodilatory effects and the sun, there's plenty of fresh air, you might get tense about the diving itself etc ... Well, you know, it's only logical that you'd get tired in the evenings. I know I do. (And that's without any tenseness or apprehension, and even on very easy tropical fun dives.)

I think you're right, it does seem like more of a psychological problem. Try to do some positive thinking, and not worry ad nauseam. Dive carefully, with slow ascents and a three-minute safety stop after every dive, and check NDL limits on tables before the dive. Drink plenty of water during the diving day. Remember you have a very conservative computer, and that you've set a very conservative setting. Dive well within the NDL limits. Honestly, you'd really have to be very unlucky to get bent ...

Think about that, and try to enjoy the dive. If this doesn't work, you might need professional counseling. And if that doesn't help, there are other hobbies to pursue ... Diving should be fun. All the best.

Hello Arie:

I seriously doubt that you have a problem involving decompression bubbles formation. The type of dives that you describe would not really result in much chance of a bad outcome.

More likely than not, there is a problem with the novelty of the situation, the use of new muscle groups, possibly being out of shape, and, as mentioned by others, a lack of hydration and maybe even something to eat.

Rest assured that decompression is not responsible.

Dr Deco :doctor:

How many dives do you have? I've noticed that at first (first 30 - 40 dives) I felt those same sympthoms. I think it is a psychological thing. When you start feeling better about your diving skills your stress will go down and actually start to enjoy diving in a broader way.

Also, the water drinking tip given is a plus. I specially hydrate from the day before the dive, drinking lots of more water than usual.

I would add slower ascents to the safety stop, and even slower from the safety stop to the top.

Thnks all for the advises! The drinking part never past my mind and I hope this will help me feeling more comfortable!
I incidently did my nitrox-course this weekend which should give me more marges anyway
Regards,
Arie

Is fatigue present in all DCS cases? I mean, is it possible to have DCS and not feel the least bit tired at all? What is the most common symptom of DCS or even sub-clinical DCS that has been present in all or at least 99.9% of current studies? Thanks!

It is possible to get tired from just spending a day outdoors in the sun. Spending a few hours passively fishing off a boat can certainly leave you feeling tired. A more active activity such as diving is quite likely to induce some fatigue.

Also consider the effects of heat loss to the water. Even in warmish water you can still be losing heat to the water and the body has to use up energy to try and compensate.

BD

Hi jplacson:

DCS Symptoms

Fatigue is not always present in cases of DCS. In fact, it is often the other way around. People will feel fatigued without any other symptoms. It is quite unclear as to where this problem falls.

Actually there is noting that is pathognomonic (=a defining symptom specific to that disease) for DCS. The only reliable determination is a “test of pressure.” If the problem quickly remits, it is probably decompression sickness.

Unfortunately, tight-fitting bands can pinch and result in numbness. This can be confused with decompression sickness. Likewise, hauling equipment (tanks, etc) can cause sprains and sore muscles and mimic DCS pain (“the bends”). In addition to micronuclei formation , heavy work is bad since it can cloud the post-dive picture. :nonono:

Dr Deco :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom