Uncomfortable on the surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stupid aluminum tanks... very common issue. We use to sell a little weight which went into the boot that solved the issue. I'd just strap a few LB of weight onto the bottom of the tank and it will fix the issue.

I don't dive with Aluminum anymore, this is one of the reasons why.

With my Balance,I keepa few lbs in the trim pockets (back), some in the integrated pockets (front), and some on the belt more towards the back as well. When on the surface I lean back a bit and float comfortably. Position your weights properly (for you) and you should be ok with just a bit of a lean back.

If all your weight is on a weightbelt or pouches around your waist and you've got a back inflate and then floaty aluminum tanks you'll naturally be forced face-down because of the physics.

Try moving to a steel tank, or moving weight from your waist up onto your tank onto tank weights, weighted STAs, or whatever you can figure out.

If you've got a weight belt you can also move the weights around towards your back rather than in front near your stomach.

As a bonus it should give you better trim while diving as well, you're probably foot-heavy as well.

If you've got a weight belt you can also move the weights around towards your back rather than in front near your stomach.

As a bonus it should give you better trim while diving as well, you're probably foot-heavy as well.

That is the direct opposite of what I try to do and what I teach. Putting lead behind your back and under the tank is uncomfortable on the boat, pushes the tank away from your body, reduces your stability in the water, and makes the belt prone to spin around resulting in the buckle being inaccessible because it is under the tank.

I try to keep the lead on my hips or forward of my hips in general.

If the OP is going to spend much time on the surface, the BP/W may not be the best choice. If people would cut off the cummerbund on the typical BC and replace with an elastic belt and add a crotch strap, many would be vastly more satisfied with their jacket BC's... Assuming they are not carrying stage bottles etc..

Here's a thought.....I have done 130 dives and consider myself an 'intermediate' level diver. I use a back inflator BCD as I like to be horizontal in the water. However, and the end of a dive with an empty tank and back inflated BCD, I am always fighting on the surface NOT to be flipped forward on my face.....not comfortable, exhausting, leg-cramp inducing...and downright dangerous if the boat is a ways off ! Friends have said "partially delate the BCD"....<duh>...I did mention that I am not a beginner, didn't I ? Sometimes, I end up using my SMB as a frontal bouyancy device just so as I can relax in the water. I ponder the usefuleness of a small, clip-on bouyancy bag at the front of the BCD. Anyone have similar problems, or even have a solution ?....mucho thanks
I see that you are in Singapore (me too, at the moment). So you are probably diving in the tropics exclusively, like me.

A backplate and wing combo would work better, because it moves ballast (the steel plate) near your buoyant tank (assuming it's aluminum). It also has a crotch strap, which prevents it from sliding up your body when inflated while you are vertically oriented on the surface. That reduces the tendency to tip you face-forward. Mine works nicely for me, but I rarely inflate mine on shallow dives, and never on the surface.

As has already been suggested, a conventional vest-style BC would also be more comfortable on the surface. I particularly recommend the ScubaPro stabilizing jackets.

There has been a lot of discussion about the pros and cons of different style BCs here on ScubaBoard. For most tropical divers it is barely applicable. If we are properly weighted and in a 3-mm-or-less wetsuit, there is little need to inflate our BCs; we could almost do without them.

I dive both a Scubapro jacket and a Scubapro back inflate. The back inflate does tend to push me a little forward on the surface. I have rear pockets on the BI where you can put weights. I have found that if I put the max amount of weight in those rear pockets it helps a great deal. I dive with 12 pounds and I put a 4 lb. weight in each of the rear pockets and a 2 lb. in the pouch of the BC. This has greatly reduced that push forward feeling. It didn't eliminate it all together but really helped with it.

As soon as I stopped trying to carry all the weight in the integrated pockets of my Back-Inflate by moving some to the cam bands, it became much better. Keep in mind, this is in cold water with a dry suit and a significant amount of weight (26#)......

I now dive a BP/W (like it much better due to great fit not achievable in many other styles), and really have no issue with the "otter maneuver" when spending time on the surface either floating or finning, and in fact prefer it.

I will also ask if by chance if you are "tall". Weight integrated units seem to hold the weight in the wrong place on long torso people, making things unstable on the surface....

Its all about what you like, and a conventional jacket may be the best to meet your needs. You have to enjoy what you are doing!

backinflate zeagle ranger and balance back inflate 5lbs per rear trim pockets (2 pockets) and 7 per pocket up front (2 pockets)

i inflated fully the other day to otter around a bit and felt about perfect.
dont know if thats conventional but with a al80 4/3 full suit im more than comfortable and secure feeling...

I take two ankle weights and slide them down to the bottom of the tank before I put the regulator on works fine for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom