Uncertain symptoms after dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RandomSyf

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi
I'm a relatively inexperienced diver (Advanced Open Water certified but only did my 22nd dive this weekend).
I also know that sometimes I get worried for no real reason about medical issues which sometimes results in me being indifferent about medical issues because I know I over-worry, so I thought it would be a good idea to ask people with more experience and knowledge.

I dove my last dive about 30 hours ago, in which we ended up coming up relatively fast but within the dive computer's parameters. (The dive computer after the dive said that I could have flown less than 9 hours later.)

After the dive I felt good. About 6 or 7 hours later, on my way home (in the back seat of a car, not flying), I fell asleep in a position where there was a bit of pressure on my chest (my backpack was pressing on it) and afterwards I felt like when I breath in a very deep breath, as if some muscle in my chest is a bit sore. I don't feel like it makes it hard for me to breath normally though, I don't notice it unless I'm taking very deep breaths or twisting my entire upper body (and I feel as if there's a sore muscle above the right side of my chest when I do twist my body)

Then at night, I went to sleep and when I woke up I realized that when I move my fingers I get a lot of knacking sounds (I don't know how it's called but it's similar sounds to when people crack their fingers). I usually don't get those sounds often, but now I get them reliably when I make a fist with my hand fast. I also had a similar sound in my knee and my shoulder.
I attributed those sounds to maybe putting my body through more than I usually do.
At no point have I experienced something I feel is pain. It doesn't hurt at all.

After realizing that it might be something decompression related I also looked online a bit but didn't find anything about these symptoms. I did realize that my eyes had a slight feeling of pressure on them but I think that's from a bit of just being tired and I think it happens to me sometimes regardless, but I thought I'd mention it anyways.

Right now I'm 30 hours after the dive and I generally feel fine, but I have a flight scheduled in 13 hours (the flight is 42 hours after my last dive) and I just wanted to double check that none of those 3 symptoms sound like DCS or anything that would make it generally unsafe to board a flight.

I don't have a hotline I can call such as DAN to get advice on the mater (that I know of) and I can't find a local physician that knows about diving today (it's a holiday) to get advice from on the mater.

Thanks, and hopefully this is just in the category of me reading more into unrelated symptoms.

Call D.A.N. right away at 919-684-9111. It's a free call.

They have medical experts available who will answer your questions. If you dont have dive insurance, it's inexpensive and well worth the cost.

Hi
I'm a relatively inexperienced diver (Advanced Open Water certified but only did my 22nd dive this weekend).
I also know that sometimes I get worried for no real reason about medical issues which sometimes results in me being indifferent about medical issues because I know I over-worry, so I thought it would be a good idea to ask people with more experience and knowledge.

I dove my last dive about 30 hours ago, in which we ended up coming up relatively fast but within the dive computer's parameters. (The dive computer after the dive said that I could have flown less than 9 hours later.)

After the dive I felt good. About 6 or 7 hours later, on my way home (in the back seat of a car, not flying), I fell asleep in a position where there was a bit of pressure on my chest (my backpack was pressing on it) and afterwards I felt like when I breath in a very deep breath, as if some muscle in my chest is a bit sore. I don't feel like it makes it hard for me to breath normally though, I don't notice it unless I'm taking very deep breaths or twisting my entire upper body (and I feel as if there's a sore muscle above the right side of my chest when I do twist my body)

Then at night, I went to sleep and when I woke up I realized that when I move my fingers I get a lot of knacking sounds (I don't know how it's called but it's similar sounds to when people crack their fingers). I usually don't get those sounds often, but now I get them reliably when I make a fist with my hand fast. I also had a similar sound in my knee and my shoulder.
I attributed those sounds to maybe putting my body through more than I usually do.
At no point have I experienced something I feel is pain. It doesn't hurt at all.

After realizing that it might be something decompression related I also looked online a bit but didn't find anything about these symptoms. I did realize that my eyes had a slight feeling of pressure on them but I think that's from a bit of just being tired and I think it happens to me sometimes regardless, but I thought I'd mention it anyways.

Right now I'm 30 hours after the dive and I generally feel fine, but I have a flight scheduled in 13 hours (the flight is 42 hours after my last dive) and I just wanted to double check that none of those 3 symptoms sound like DCS or anything that would make it generally unsafe to board a flight.

I don't have a hotline I can call such as DAN to get advice on the mater (that I know of) and I can't find a local physician that knows about diving today (it's a holiday) to get advice from on the mater.

Thanks, and hopefully this is just in the category of me reading more into unrelated symptoms.

Hello @RandomSyf ,

From your description, I think it's unlikely that this is related to decompression illness. It sounds more musculoskeletal in origin to me.

Best regards,
DDM

Ditto DDM,

The timing of onset of various symptoms, areas of the body affected, nature of the symptoms and other features of your description just are not consistent with decompression illness.

I would go as far as saying that your complaints are very unlikely related to DCI and sound much more musculoskeletal in origin.

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Side note, but... your computer cleared you to fly only 9 hours later? Is that common?

Back
Top Bottom