Unbox review: OrcaTorch D620 canister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually this review is not made by OrcaTorch manufacturer, but by an independent youtuber Don Fassbender, if you click " youtube " on this video, you may access to his youtube channel.
We are sharing this review so more people can see this video :wink:

But thanks very much for the notice, we will add video made by "author" next time when we share the review from youtube in case of any confusion :wink:
Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification.

Interesting. I just tried to go to the OrcaTorch website (to check beam angle specs again) and I got this:

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

D'oh!!

Thanks very much for your attention on OrcaTorch website, we had a little problem with our service provider, but now the problem is solved, OrcaTorch website is available now:
OrcaTorch-Professional LED flashlight for Diving,Outdoor survival,Outdoor sports,Law enforcement,Military,Hunting

Welcome to visit ^_^

Thanks very much for your attention on OrcaTorch website, we had a little problem with our service provider, but now the problem is solved, OrcaTorch website is available now:
OrcaTorch-Professional LED flashlight for Diving,Outdoor survival,Outdoor sports,Law enforcement,Military,Hunting

Welcome to visit ^_^
Any plans on a longer canister with more batteries as mentioned above? How about a tighter beam?

Looks great though.

Any plans on a longer canister with more batteries as mentioned above? How about a tighter beam?

Looks great though.

Yes, we will consider adding more batteries for the upgraded version, and will also consider variable bream angle as suggested by stuartv :wink:

The DR light claims a 10 degree spot.

The D620 specs on LeisurePro say it's a 14 degree spot.

DR claims 3500 lumens on their website, but I just watched a video of Jared Hires talking about the HP50 and he said 2500. Since Cree says the XHP50 max is 2500 lumens, I'm inclined to believe 2500 vs 3500.

The D620 claims 2700 lumens. But, it uses a Cree XHP70, which Cree says has a max of 4K lumens.

It would be really interesting to get the two lights side by side and see which one is actually brighter. The DR claiming an output equal to the LED's max suggests to me that the actual out-the-front lumens would be less. OTOH, the D620 claiming 2700 from an LED that can put out 4000 suggests that maybe their rating is actual out-the-front lumens. In which case, the D620 may be noticeably brighter.

Orrrr, the D620 is only putting out 2700 raw, in order to have decent burn time with only 4 x 18650. In which case, I would expect both lights to be pretty close in brightness.

If the latter is the case, having a bigger can on the D620 that lets it put out the full 4000 lumens that the LED is capable of and still have 1.5 - 2 hours of burn time would make it a spectacular light.

Yes, you are right! OrcaTorch D620 make the output lower than what Cree XHP70 can do in order to have more runtime :wink:
Regarding the 4000 lumens canister, some of our customers would require minimun 3h runtime, would 2 hours be too short?

Yes, you are right! OrcaTorch D620 make the output lower than what Cree XHP70 can do in order to have more runtime :wink:
Regarding the 4000 lumens canister, some of our customers would require minimun 3h runtime, would 2 hours be too short?

My personal preference would be, give me a can that holds double the amount of battery capacity, and give me a switch setting to output 4000 lumens.

If I need 3 hours of burntime, I will run it on the 2700 lumen setting. If I only need 2 hours, I will feel free to run it on 4000 lumens of output.

Yes I would pay more for a light that was more useful and those changes would make the light much more useful and move it to the top of my shopping list.

Having tested the light myself, I would agree with what most people are saying. As I wrote in my review, a larger canister is not only OK, it is desirable. As it is now, I used the light primarily in its middle setting in order to save battery life. I used in its highest setting when I calculated battery life would not be an issue or when I felt the greatest need during a dive.

I think the average cave diver not using stages or any special gear does 1.5 to 2 hour dives in the shallower caves in the Yucatan, and they will often do 2 such dives in a day. Now, the nice thing about the present D620 is that you could buy a second set of those batteries and switch them out for a second dive, but that should still give an idea of the need for battery life. The serious dives will be doing much longer dives than indicated.

A more focused beam would also be a plus.

Yes, we will consider adding more batteries for the upgraded version, and will also consider variable bream angle as suggested by stuartv :wink:

It's been 2 months. Do y'all have a new light ready yet?? :D

Back
Top Bottom