Unbox review: OrcaTorch D620 canister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want this light, but in a version that has a canister that is taller and holds 8 batteries, instead of 4. The runtime from 8 batteries should be perfect!

I want this light, but in a version that has a canister that is taller and holds 8 batteries, instead of 4. The runtime from 8 batteries should be perfect!

I agree. Four 18650s almost could be held comfortably within a wrist-mounted light; there's almost no NEED to go to the trouble of a waist-mounted canister.

I agree. Four 18650s almost could be held comfortably within a wrist-mounted light; there's almost no NEED to go to the trouble of a waist-mounted canister.

Indeed. The Dive Rite HP50 puts out about the same amount of light and, with its battery pack that holds 4 x 18650 batteries, is a cordless, wrist-mount light.

HP50 Light System | Dive Rite

If the DR light weren't retarded expensive, I would be in the market for one.

What would be really cool is a light system like the DR where you have the option to attach a battery pack to the light head and use it cordlessly (just like the HP50 has), but then take the same 4 x 18650 batteries, add 4 more, put them all together into a can, and use the same light head that way.

Oh, and also make the light head with Variable Focus.

:D

Interesting. I just tried to go to the OrcaTorch website (to check beam angle specs again) and I got this:

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

D'oh!!

The DR light claims a 10 degree spot.

The D620 specs on LeisurePro say it's a 14 degree spot.

DR claims 3500 lumens on their website, but I just watched a video of Jared Hires talking about the HP50 and he said 2500. Since Cree says the XHP50 max is 2500 lumens, I'm inclined to believe 2500 vs 3500.

The D620 claims 2700 lumens. But, it uses a Cree XHP70, which Cree says has a max of 4K lumens.

It would be really interesting to get the two lights side by side and see which one is actually brighter. The DR claiming an output equal to the LED's max suggests to me that the actual out-the-front lumens would be less. OTOH, the D620 claiming 2700 from an LED that can put out 4000 suggests that maybe their rating is actual out-the-front lumens. In which case, the D620 may be noticeably brighter.

Orrrr, the D620 is only putting out 2700 raw, in order to have decent burn time with only 4 x 18650. In which case, I would expect both lights to be pretty close in brightness.

If the latter is the case, having a bigger can on the D620 that lets it put out the full 4000 lumens that the LED is capable of and still have 1.5 - 2 hours of burn time would make it a spectacular light.

I agree that the additional batteries would be a plus, and some short canisters aren't great at holding a long hose.

Regarding the lumen rating for the emitters - it is possible to overdrive the manufacturer's suggested power but this would most likely result in a shorter lifespan. I have no knowledge about the drivers in either of these lights, however. I also think overdriving emitters in a dive light is probably not the best idea :wink:

Exactly the same thought

It is hardly an "unbox review" when it is provided by the manufacturer. That is usually called a sales pitch.

Actually this review is not made by OrcaTorch manufacturer, but by an independent youtuber Don Fassbender, if you click " youtube " on this video, you may access to his youtube channel.
We are sharing this review so more people can see this video :wink:

But thanks very much for the notice, we will add video made by "author" next time when we share the review from youtube in case of any confusion :wink:

Back
Top Bottom