Un-Nerving Diving Experience....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WJL once bubbled...
If you built up CO2 in your blood, as you might have swimming through the tubes, that could trigger the symptoms you described. When you ascended and slowed down your metabolic rate, the CO2 was scrubbed out of your red blood cells more efficiently, the CO2 level in your blood decreased, and the"need to breathe" feeling caused by elevated CO2 went away. At least that's my opinion.
That makes perfect sense, but in my case we had just completed the descent and I was hanging on the edge of the wall while my buddy was checking out the fish. Absolutely zero exhertion. When I was active, it wasn't a problem, but when we stopped and I had time to focus in on feelings is when it happened.

I have certainly experienced excess CO2 as well... slightly different feeling.

RichLockyer once bubbled...

That makes perfect sense, but in my case we had just completed the descent and I was hanging on the edge of the wall while my buddy was checking out the fish. Absolutely zero exhertion. When I was active, it wasn't a problem, but when we stopped and I had time to focus in on feelings is when it happened.

I have certainly experienced excess CO2 as well... slightly different feeling.

Rich, I was really thinking about scuba_junkie's situation when I wrote that. I don't know what to think about the scenario you decribed, except to chalk it up to generalized heebie-jeebies that can sometimes creep in to your mind when you start to dwell on just what the heck you're doing under all that water without any gills.

Thanks for all the input from everyone. That is the one fantastic thing about discussion boards like this, lots of ideas and shared experiences to learn and grow from.

I think the biggest thing that my spooky little experience reinforced from my training is to get a grip on your situation, calm down and think through it. The fact that I didnt let the feeling of panic take over gives me more confidence in my skills as a diver. I still dont really know what caused this feeling, and I think it was just a combination of a couple factors. Now my next plan of action is to get back into the water and see if I can do a little more thinking and analysis on the subject.

Thanks again for the opinions and ideas!

:snorkel:

I had a similar experience before and it totally shook me up for awhile. I started my dive and I felt fine. I had a new regulator and I was diving in cold water. About 20 minutes into the dive I started feeling like I wasn't getting enough air so I tried to adjust the flow and that didn't help. I signalled to my buddy to surface thinking it would be better but it had gotten worse. I had him take my b.c and wetsuit off and tried to catch my breath. The long and short of it is the it was probably co2 retention for I had every kind of tests imaginable afterward and everything check-out. I believe it was a combination of the wetsuit being constritive and the cold water. I never want to go through that feeling again!

Kimmy:wacko:

Was at Gilboa Quarry Aug. 26/27.
Been there numerous times before and have experienced your
problem. Took me a few dives, but once I was familiar with that
area around the tubes I have had no further problems.

The weekend I was there.
Logged 55degF on a nitedive to the top tube(Swear the therm said 44deg during the day).
Did some planned deep stuff to 110+ and the temp was 43defF.
Was sweatin' my butt off gearing up. Thought my drysuit had
a leak, but it was only sweat.

During the summer the shallows at Gilboa are bath water warm, but the temp can drop to 45degF at the tubes.
Kinda of a shock to the bod and you may have a tendency to
breath shallower than normal. Stopping to look at the wall by the tubes or the thermometer for a bit helps.
A little spooky in that area for 60ft. if you have not dove
it alot of times.

Beer wise the nite before??? I am probably the poster-child for
don't drink and DIVE.
I just think your problem had to do with anxiety( unfamiliar with the area), the swim out, and temp change at depth.

Let me know if I am crocked......

Chris

I got to see this first hand Wednesday although I personally have never had this sensation. My buddy had lots more dives than me but they were mostly warm, high vis and low current. Jugged our spot for a lobster dive and I knew it was gonna be tough cause the jug was actually being pulled under by the current. I explained to him the two most important things were absolutely do not lose the jug line and if ya don't want a solo dive don't lose me. I mostly spear/lobster and am usually for all practical purposes solo and am comfy with it. He wanted to stay tight which is also OK with me. Anyway the current requires full effort to stay with the line and vis is only about 6' until about 30' off the bottom where there is a layer of BLACK water, maybe 1' vis.I see it and check that my buddy is with me. Come out the other side of the layer to about 10-15' of bottom vis. Look around, no buddy. Hang out for a few minutes looking and still no buddy. Went and shot some fish and grabbed a bug and ascended to find my buddy on the boat totally freaked out. Just like the others on this post he got in the black water and felt he could not get air. Somehow he lost his reg, dropped a $350 spear gun he had never even cocked , did a Polaris ascent and hit the surface yelling "I'm drowning". Needless to say that got the guys on the boats attention. He felt bad for an hour or so but luckily was not hurt. The experience really drove home to me how important it is to use your mind and not let it use you and really made me thankful for the abilities of the guys I usually dive with.

Back
Top Bottom