Ulua / Mokapu Photo Ode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MauiScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Looking back after a couple years full time diving in the vicinity of Ulua Reef, mostly out of the Wailea Renaissance, I Saw So Much Incredible Stuff!:crafty:

Greater Ulua Flash Photos (try the slide show) on Flickr.

I was lucky enough (or took sooo many pictures) that I ended up with a few pretty decent digital memories. The last day was double 007 dives going pretty much everywhere but the bow. First dive was solo for 85 minutes (100cft, nearshore, fairly shallow), then friends went with me to the St. Anthony.

I had a pretty nice parking spot that last day;

LastDayParking.jpg

It will be strange to dive Ulua next time, I'll have to haul my gear.:shakehead:

Those are some nice photos. Man! Packed full of life! Are these solo dives, by the way? Just curious - no judgement.

Possibly 10% of my dives there have been solo, but possibly 40% of the cool picks are from those dives. Just looking at the Renaissance year and 8 months; 50 dives per month is 1000 dives, or possibly 100+ solo scooter dives. My hard drives have lots of cool pictures in 'em that I will probably never find.

Wow! Those shots with the yellow margin and ALL the Banded Coral Shrimps are very cool. I've never seen so many of those shrimps together before. Was that out in some old pipe near the St. Anthony or something? Cool Shots.....so where are you working now? I saw the signs out in front of the hotel. Kinda sad....

The SB photo system does not seem to be working well for me. I would have put a couple teasers in the origional post, inluding one of the pipe, but the full size parking picture does not seem to work (at least on my browser?).:confused:

Yes there is an old concrete drainage pipe (small culvert?) out near the St. Anthony, usually with an ~5' yellowmargin inside. I consider the other main inhabitants to be the sarlet cleaner shrimp, but there are many, many more banded coral shrimp. If you scanned the inside and outside of the 8' pipe there could be 30+. I have had my teeth cleaned with a yellowmargin watching from inside, but I did not encourage my guests to try that.:no

It is a cool spot, as it may be a nursery for lionfish and spiny lobster. Actually, nearly every outcrop deeper than 50' has had baby lionfish sometime in the last 2 years. Somewhere I have images of both lion and lob tykes in the pipe with the YM, possibly all together! That partially corrupted hard drive is one of my projects.:shakehead:

I am kind of on-call at the Kea Lani, temp lay off until mid-Nov, maybe. I need some dry time to work on all the pictures, as well as many other procrastinated projects. The Renaissance needed to close, most of the descent sales staff left quite a while ago and the quality/quantity of guests was in retrograde. Big money developers making bigger money without all their ducks swimming is a current topic, so I still hope to hear of a remodel plan (Wailea Westin?). If the activists get on a roll....:popcorn:

Sounds like you'll have some time off for fun - Up for getting together for a dive in a couple weeks? (I have Sept. 27-Oct 10 off as the boat goes to drydock)

Aloha, Tim

I would look forward to a possible home and away series. I could possibly bring scooters (and 100cft), do you know the way to the Carthaginian?

Halemano, great pics. . . .great parking spot, too. . . were you on the luau grounds closest to Ulua? just wondering. . .couldn't get the pic to enlarge. Take care, Maggi

I would look forward to a possible home and away series. I could possibly bring scooters (and 100cft), do you know the way to the Carthaginian?

Never been there yet - been waiting for my Scooter fund to get "filled up" I've seen the boats out there and know the general area, but I think a bit more precision is needed.

I'll drop you a PM in a couple weeks and we'll see about hitting the water together.

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom