Ultralight GoPro Tray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I originally used this rig with my Nikonos V cameras so those are SB103 strobe arms. My original ones corroded so badly I couldn't turn the knobs (possibly a reaction to the aluminum) so I recently replaced them. There's a guy in LA who sells them on ebay for about $19.

The gadgets I'm using to attach the lights to the arms are Fenix bicycle flashlight-to-handle-bar adapters I got from Amazon---see post 6 in this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gopro-video/425784-my-gopro-3d-setup.html

The strobe arm diameter is just a tad too small so I'm using a bit of water hose as a spacer.

Here are some pics of the Fenix adapter:

light-mount-and-rubber-spac.jpg

DRIS-light-and-Fenix-mount.jpg

A little aluminum bar stock, hack saw, drill, tap:

New-holes.jpg

October-2012-setup.jpg

trust me as an engineer, I'm all for over-kill and over building....................but using 1/2"? alum stock for a go-pro tray................unless you'll NEVER travel with it and only use it local.................heck even local, I don't know if I'd dive with that just for the ubber neg buoyancy................unless you're trying to take lead off your belt?

The UltraLight Control system balls and mounts are the sweetest rig(s).............go for it, I love mine!

The bar stock was chosen to match the thickness of the Nikonos trays it replaced. The strobe arms can't close any further. The SB103 strobes were bouyant so every thing was fairly neutral in the water.

The current setup is a bit negative and I've toyed with the idea of adding some bouyancy. It's ok in the water & even helps my trim a bit when I'm holding it out ahead of me in both hands. Kicking on the surface I just lay it out along my body so it doesn't impede my swiming. It's long and tough enough I've even used it as a walking stick scaling a bluff. The lanyard goes around my left wrist so I can simply let go if I need both hands for anything.

Oh, and I have travelled with it---check out my gallery, there are some photos from Hawaii and Taiwan.

trust me as an engineer, I'm all for over-kill and over building....................but using 1/2"? alum stock for a go-pro tray................unless you'll NEVER travel with it and only use it local.................heck even local, I don't know if I'd dive with that just for the ubber neg buoyancy................unless you're trying to take lead off your belt?

The UltraLight Control system balls and mounts are the sweetest rig(s).............go for it, I love mine!

What grips are you using? They have three different kinds for all about the same price point.

Any tricks at to where the center of buoyancy should be for the steadiest video?

Well...if I were to add bouyancy it would be high on the rig to encourage a vertical orientation, i.e. lights above camera.

Mass => stability

Making my rig a bit more neutral would make it easier to shoot while holding it with just one hand.

Here's how I normally hold it:

harbor-seal-Lobos-with-Wayn.jpg

some ideads.

AD-GOsm.jpg

gp3sm.jpg

TR-GP3Dsm.jpg

DSCN0198.jpg

Ahh.. so that's how you attach the ball mounts together haha. I was so confused.

I wonder if the double tray is long enough to mount other cameras. That's why I was leaning towards the 3D.

Back
Top Bottom