Ultimate SCUBA Boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cid90

Contributor
Reaction score
I was wondering what thoughts were on the perfect SCUBA boat design.
1. I will want it for use in warm weather, probably FL.
2. Day trips only. Not a live aboard.

Any thoughts? :rainbow:

My dream is to start up a dive trip business after I get my USCG skippers license....still several years away but a boy can dream.

Bellecraft Catamarans. Aluminum hull, twin engine, enclosed wheelhouse in larger models, choice of engines. I ran 2 in my day, a 35' and a 55'.

I've got to go with Wetman's suggestion. Anything to reduce the rocking and pitching would be great. And some way to eliminate the fume backdrafts.

I'd also add as amenities-
Fresh water rinse buckets
" " shower spray
Working head
Cold water/ juice container
Fruit/ cookies
Sun cover/bimini top
O2 of course/first aid kits

Oh yes, the diesel fumes. Forgot about that. And its my pet peeve of most dive boats. That stuff makes you nautious and it seems you cant get away from that on some boats. So a boat that burns fresh water for fuel and uses hydrofoils would be my choice. Oh, and salt water splach sheilds so you don't get any in your face or mouth on the way out. Now that would be lovely as well.

steve

I just checked out some CATS on the web. The prices appear much more reasonable than other craft. Why is that?

As far as a Diesel fumes you are correct. I am thinking twin gasoline outboards...and completmentary beer for the trip back...in moderation of course.

Originally posted by cid90
I just checked out some CATS on the web. The prices appear much more reasonable than other craft. Why is that?

As far as a Diesel fumes you are correct. I am thinking twin gasoline outboards...and completmentary beer for the trip back...in moderation of course.

Neither gas nor outboards have any place on a serious diving boat. The ONLY reason to use outboards is economics and gas is only safe in outboards.

Tom

but I think the perfect dive boat is the one owned, operated and maintained by professionals. I have never in my life seen people put in harder days, day after day. You can see my perfect dive boat at the end of pier 8 in Morehead City, Olympus!
http://WWW.OLYMPUSDIVING.COM/chartfrm.htm

Doesn't someone make diesel outboards now? I thought I remembered some being advertised somewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom