ULCS adjustments and setup??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Dee,
Do you have a picture of your setup with the Infinity arms?
thanks!

I would like to state, for the record, that I have NEVER assembled my ULCS joints wrong.

Never, never, never. It was the...seagulls! Yeah, the seagulls.

All the best, James

arenny:
Hi Dee,
Do you have a picture of your setup with the Infinity arms?
thanks!

This is an old photo with the S&S YS90 strobe positioned for a macro shot. But I think you can see the arm well enough.

aak.jpg

As I said earlier, topside you need to keep the strobe/arm curled over the camera for stability. 1) it's a smaller package for the camera tub and 2) the loc-line arms are floppy when fully extended with the weight of the strobe at the end. But once in the water they stay in place very well.

Over time, the loc-line pieces will wear from the friction and will loosen up a bit. But it only costs a couple of bucks for a 4-5" section to replace them. I just recently replaced a section of my old original loc-line flexi-arm that has been well used for about 5 years. Still a great deal if you ask me.

Thanks Dee! That looks really great! I have the ULCS arms for the DX 90 but I am looking to add a cheap focus light, so I bought the Suprema (Fantasea 44 LED), it looks great (haven't taken it into the water yet). I was trying to figure out a way to put it on my setup and I love your idea of the infinity arms. What kind of tray is that? Is the base of the infinity arm just a screw?
Thanks!

I have that same light for a focus light. Haven't tried it yet. But I have a ULCS tray, got the little extension piece to create a spot for a second "handle" and got some locline to hold the light. Here is a first run look at it. Once you buy the locline, you'll need to get the little mounting piece for the end to hook on the light. I believe Ryan at reefphoto.com has them. I have another system rigged until I get one. The strobe mounts on the regular handle on the right side of the picture, I just don't have it attached here.

Dee and I have also figured out that the protective cap for the PT-015 is the perfect size to slip on the end of the light, so we plan on cutting out a circle on the end and mounting some roscolux red gels inside to use as a red light diffuser for night time shots. I'll show you a picture of that when it's all done. You can get the covers for the PT-015 from Backscatter -- since they're in the neighborhood!

arenny:
Thanks Dee! That looks really great! I have the ULCS arms for the DX 90 but I am looking to add a cheap focus light, so I bought the Suprema (Fantasea 44 LED), it looks great (haven't taken it into the water yet). I was trying to figure out a way to put it on my setup and I love your idea of the infinity arms. What kind of tray is that? Is the base of the infinity arm just a screw?
Thanks!

I've got that same focus light. As Jennifer mentioned we're working on a red filter for it. I also use a ULCS digital tray and yes, the arm has a flat base piece that just screws to the top of the tray handle. I am adding a second handle to my rig to hold the focus light, like Jennifer's photo shows. I tried to add it to the strobe arm but that contraption just didn't work out!

You'll need a YS adapter pirce for the arm to attach the light and yes, Ryan at Reef Photo has them.

If you want to put together your own Loc-Line arm, here's the pieces I use. The size is 3/4" id.

Arm, these two pieces are about 12" total.

Base, pkg. of 2

Jennifer mentioned a lens cap. I love This one at Backscatter. It's easy to get on and off and works great to protect your lens port. Order 2 so you can make a filter for your focus light! :D

Hi JTemple,

This is exactly what I wanted to do with it! I want to get the arm attachment (I have the same tray) use the "blue" side for the flash and mount my LED light on a "bendy arm" Does the bendy arm screw into the tray attachment? Then you had to attach the LED light... Can I get a close up of how you attached the base of the light to the arm? Thanks so much! :)

Arenny....you were posting while I was adding some links to my post!

Rather than buy a real lens cap, I've always just cut the bottom off a foam rubber beer cozy and used that. Some of them have a hole in the bottom, so you could probably use one to make a red nighttime filter too.

-Mark

Thanks for the links Dee!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom