UK: Somerset diver dies despite Dorset coastguard rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
We've seen this site mentioned before recently here...

from BBC News - Somerset diver dies despite Dorset coastguard rescue
A diver has died after getting into difficulties off the Dorset coast.

It is thought the 37-year-old man from Yeovil, Somerset, resurfaced too quickly while out diving from the Wey Chieftan 4 off Portland Bill on Monday.

He was airlifted to Dorchester County Hospital by Portland Coastguard, but was later declared dead.

Dorset Police have been informed of the death and are investigating the circumstances. The identity of the deceased man has not yet been released.
and Tragedy of man killed in sea dive - mirror.co.uk
A diver was believed to have been killed by the bends yesterday after returning to the surface too quickly.

The man, who has not been named, was part of an eightman crew on a recreational diving charter boat trip.

Coastguard officer Roger Hoare said the boat's mayday call blamed a "rapid ascent" that caused the man to fall unconscious on the dive off Portland Bill, Dorset.

He said: "We dispatched a rescue helicopter. The diver was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead."

The boat, Wey Chieftain 4, is believed to be used for shipwreck research.

Respected diver Steve Cheshire has died after surfacing rapidly off the Dorset coast while investigating a Victorian wreck.
Respected diver Steve Cheshire has died after surfacing rapidly off the Dorset coast while investigating a Victorian wreck.

Fellow divers have paid tribute to Mr Cheshire, 37, a former naval aircraft engineer and father of two, from Yeovil.

Portland Coastguard scrambled their helicopter to fly Mr Cheshire to the decompression unit at Poole General Hospital after receiving a mayday call from the dive boat Wey Chieftain in the Channel, 20 miles off Portland Bill, at 11.15am on Monday.

Mr Cheshire had surfaced semi-conscious and was winched into the helicopter and flown to Poole, but his condition was judged to be so serious that he was flown to the accident and emergency department at Dorset County Hospital, Dorchester, rather than being taken to Poole General's decompression unit. He was pronounced dead on arrival.

Mr Cheshire, who worked for AgustaWestland, was a keen researcher of wreck sites. He and seven others were involved in diving on the wreck at a depth of 60 metres.

Graham Knott, skipper of Wey Chieftain, said yesterday: "He came to the surface very rapidly and was face-down in the water. He just managed to lift his arm up. The sign for help is a raised arm with fist clenched. I was already right on top of him – I saw him come up – and got the dive lift immediately and brought him into the boat. He was obviously unconscious by that time. I cut him out of his diving gear, called mayday and gave him mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

"He was a very experienced diver, a jolly sort of chap who had spent a lot of his time researching shipwrecks, and I think he planned to write a book about them eventually. He was trying to identify the wreck, which he had dived on once before and which I think dated from the mid-1800s."

Don

May I ask you why you started this thread?

OC

I'm not Don and can't speak for Don but --

The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through the examination and discussion of accidents and incidents; to find lessons we can apply to our own diving.

Accidents, and incidents that could easily have become accidents, can often be used to illustrate actions that lead to injury or death, and their discussion is essential to building lessons learned from which improved safety can flow.

Why not? I see a story on the web, check to see if it's here yet, and if not - share it. Many of us learn a lot here on how to dive safer and/or how to survive mistakes & problems.

Are you in the UK? You have that hidden. Do you not want us to look at your accidents here?

I'm not Don and can't speak for Don but --

The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through the examination and discussion of accidents and incidents; to find lessons we can apply to our own diving.

Accidents, and incidents that could easily have become accidents, can often be used to illustrate actions that lead to injury or death, and their discussion is essential to building lessons learned from which improved safety can flow.

i agree, i visit this place more often than the others, we don't have to go thru the ordeal just to learn, by understanding what happened to others, we might just be able to avoid the same things happening to us.

Unfortunately, we rarely get the exact or specific real cause of death in this forum. Lots of speculation which is good for learning what not to do though. Since it is generally all that we get, it's important that as much information as possible be disseminated and in general, the bad will be eliminated. This is a LEARNING forum and generally intended not for the victims family for condolences.

It can get emotional, but that is the nature of it. Quite frankly, many of the present rules we dive by were written in blood and the main purpose of this forum is to keep preventable accidents from being repeated.

They were all on the same vessel......interesting.

Cdolpin,

I first thought the same thing as you (that it was three deaths from the same boat). But if you open and read the news articles, it seems that it was the same poor guy who died in all three. Not much of a comfort to his family, but some relief for the rest of us.

Trish

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom