Uk Sl4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greyface

Reaction score
I just picked one of these lights up @ Ginnie, for peeking into the caverns. (Still freediving, start OW Friday-yehaw) I am amazed with this light's output. I know it's just a backup, what do you cavers think of this light, from a reliability standpoint? Any replies greatly appreciated! :)

Well I'm not a caver but I have an SL4 and it does just fine for me. It seems pretty durable, I haven't whipped it down on concrete or anything but it's been banged around a little I guess and I haven't had any problems with it yet. I'm guessing most cavers would opt for a Halcyon Scout or it's knock-off though and I don't doubt that they are better lights than the SL4 but they cost over twice as much too.

It is not the light itself that makes the Scout a btter light for caving, but the construction of the body. The Delrin body is indestructable. I am going to be purchasing mine very soon. The SL4 is a great light though. As a matter of fact, the Scout uses the SL4 bulb and bezel assembly in the Scout.

for a daylight recreational dive profile and as a backup during night dives. I've had mine for about 1 year and have bounced it off of concrete a few times, and it rides with me on most of my dives. So far, no complaints.

We each have an SL4 that we keep in a BC pocket as a backup for night dives as well as looking under nooks/crannies, etc. They are probably about 6 years old. Nice package. Easy to turn on/off. Good bright lights.

Meanwhile, the UK1200 and a UK600 (or is an 800?) we have are at the very least 8 years old. These seem to put out at least enough wattage to fry a fish at 300 metres. :wink: In fact, we used the 1200 to light navigational day markers at 4am one moonless night on our way from FL to the Bahamas.

Nary a problem with any of them {touching wood}.

Oh, BTW, while we were in Bonaire last month I found an SL4 sitting at about 30'. I would estimate it had been down there less than a week. Flicked the switch... lit up just fine.

Aye matey! Davey Jones gave it to me! Arrrr!!! :arrrgh:

~SubMariner~

Originally posted by SubMariner
We each have an SL4 that we keep in a BC pocket as a backup for night dives as well as looking under nooks/crannies, etc. They are probably about 6 years old. Nice package. Easy to turn on/off. Good bright lights.

Meanwhile, the UK1200 and a UK600 (or is an 800?) we have are at the very least 8 years old. These seem to put out at least enough wattage to fry a fish at 300 metres. :wink: In fact, we used the 1200 to light navigational day markers at 4am one moonless night on our way from FL to the Bahamas.

Nary a problem with any of them {touching wood}.

Oh, BTW, while we were in Bonaire last month I found an SL4 sitting at about 30'. I would estimate it had been down there less than a week. Flicked the switch... lit up just fine.

Aye matey! Davey Jones gave it to me! Arrrr!!! :arrrgh:
Arrrr!!! LOL! :)
~SubMariner~

Works fine...mostly stays on my harness just in case I ever need it, but I have used it for peeking and it has always worked for me. It isn't a Scout, but it was only $25 or so...

I'm not a caver, but I use the SL4 as my primary when spearfishing and my backup when night diving.

A couple of weeks ago (while cleaning gear after a dive), I noticed the lense was fogged. When I unscrewed the top, the light basically exploded in my hands from internal pressure. Little bits of battery acid went flying. There was no liquid water in the case, so I assume that just enough water got in to short out the batteries (fog on lense), or I had a bad battery and the fog on the lense was a chemical film.

Regardless, I learned two things: 1) Be careful opening an UW flashlight if there is a fog on the lense, and 2) UK has a flood warranty that allowed my LDS to hand me a new replacement light (batteries included) with no questions asked.

I got my SL4 back in February; it worked fine for a while but now it just doesn't work anymore. It's fine above water and when I submerge it at home it's fine but when I go diving with it, it gets weaker and weaker as I go down until it just fades altogether. Must be something to do with pressure? It's not leaking; dry as a bone and working fine again afterwards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom