UK SL4 LED or Princeton TEC Torrent Xenon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The color of white light is based on the temperature of the light source. LED's are able to make a hotter light but run it at a cooler temperature. The inherent design is less fragile as well. The fact it does all this with significantly less energy draw makes it that much more impressive. Where I live almost all the traffic signals have switched to LED's. Most new emergency vehicles are using LED lights as well. They are just better in all aspects. It's because of this and the fact that it's relatively new technology to the general public that it costs more. I would think that LED will be like digital TV, and will phase out the older type.

I purchased the Princeton Xenon becuase of the 115 lumens. It was relatively cheap at only 29 dollars shipped to my door.

I played with it in the garage during the night and thought wow what a strong light. Then I went diving with it and my buddy brought his 47 lumen LED by Princeton.

I was so discouraged on how yellow and literally ugly the light is in comparison to the gorgeous blue/white hue the LED gives.

I traded my light in for the 47 lumen LED and also purchased the Mini shockwave that produces 150 lumens of LED.

I should be getting my mini next week...

So now I have a backup when I do my night dives... I like how both are very small and easy to connect on various lanyards and D rings...

So how many people dive two sets of LED's? Does anyone have a combo of both Xenon and LED or just strictly LED?

MG

I run LED as both primary and secondary. Just a better choice in my oppinion.:coffee:

I purchased the Princeton Xenon becuase of the 115 lumens. It was relatively cheap at only 29 dollars shipped to my door.

I played with it in the garage during the night and thought wow what a strong light. Then I went diving with it and my buddy brought his 47 lumen LED by Princeton.

I was so discouraged on how yellow and literally ugly the light is in comparison to the gorgeous blue/white hue the LED gives.

I traded my light in for the 47 lumen LED and also purchased the Mini shockwave that produces 150 lumens of LED.

I should be getting my mini next week...

So now I have a backup when I do my night dives... I like how both are very small and easy to connect on various lanyards and D rings...

So how many people dive two sets of LED's? Does anyone have a combo of both Xenon and LED or just strictly LED?

MG

I use two LED's when diving. My UK C8 eLED Plus is my primary. It produces an incredible beam. Picked it over the Shockwave because it has built in circuitry that keeps an even light output instead of being brightest when batteries are fully charged and then getting dimmer. I believe it runs at 70% - 75% until the batteries will no longer support it. Battery life is somewhat less due to this but light output is maintained.

Use the SL4 as my back up as well as my fish spotter. It's nearly as bright and two of these would be ideal for the caribbean. However I like having more light since I'm still new to diving and night diving.

Nismo,

You should get a third light, perhaps a smaller one like the size of my Princeton Tec LED. You have covered your bases with the C8 and C4.

I need the shockwave led to complete my setup for night dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom