UK SL4 eLED or Princeton Tec Torrent LED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hcsf_25

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post, so please be nice =)

From what I've researched, thus far, the UK and Princeton brand are quite good. I have narrowed my search down to the following two lights:

1) UK SL4 eLED

2) Princeton Tec Torrent LED

I can't seem to find information online to support the claim that the UK SL4 eLED puts out 116 lumins as listed on the UK website. On the leisure pro site, it says an avg of 33-38 lumans (under the specs tab).

Assuming that the UK SL4 eLED does have a luminosity of 116 and that prices are the same, which of the two do you think is better? Sounds like the UK has a nice ABS frame and overall build. I do find the Princeton more attractive, reminds me of an ordinarily flashlight rather than a small brick like the UK. Then there's the battery issues, Cs vs AAs. I'm thinking AAs since it'll be easier to manage. What do you guys think of using Sanyo Eneloops for diving around 20-30ms? Is this dangerous? According to the Sanyo warning label, you take the chance of an explosion (vs a small explosion with an Alkaline battery) if you use the Sanyo Eneloop in your dive light.

I plan to use this is my primary light as well as for photography purposes. I'm currently a certified PADI Open Water diver, but will try to get my Advanced Open Water certification in my next trip abroad. Is a primary AND backup dive light required for the night dive? Also, don't most dive centers abroad have these available for rent or as part of the advance certification process?

More info:
WOW!!! I was browsing through this section for the first time (I recently posted this in the wrong section - strobes & lighting) and am amazed at the creativity that some of you have with building torches from scratch. With that said, I'm willing to switch and look into other dive lights that are available. However, I am running on a tight schedule and will be leaving the country on the 30th of June, so I'll be needing a light that is in stock and quick to ship. Sorry, but I don't think I have time to build one =)

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP AND COMMENTS!

Last edited:
I like the LED torrent as a back up for cave diving (except for the switch) and I am impressed wtith the overall output of light and burn time. But I have two and one has a tighter focus than the other, so I can;t speak to what your mileage will be in that regard.

I don't own the Torrent but I was thinking of getting one. My understanding of the new Torrent is that it would make (for me) a perfect tropical light for night dives with it's very broad beam. I have an SL4 eLED too and it's a great crevice light but is really too bright and focused to make a good night dive light.

So, one of each would be my recommendation :)

I should point out that, IMO, it is easy to have too much light on a night dive. You want to see what's going on, not convince everything to go hid because it's daytime.

I should point out that, IMO, it is easy to have too much light on a night dive. You want to see what's going on, not convince everything to go hid because it's daytime.

Thanks for the tip, never thought about it that way. Always thought, the brighter the better =)

I ended up getting the Tec Torrent. Will let you guys know how it works out. Thanks!

So hcsf - How did the Tec Torrent work out???

The Princeton Tec Torrent is no good.

The first one I had failed after two uses over two weeks. It was the switch mechanism. The replacement works for now.

The major problem is that the locking mechanism for the switch is inadequate. I have had the Torrent turn on in my BCD pocket by itself. You would think that for $60, they could design a decent switch.

The working replacement has been retired to dry land.

Welll...$60 is pretty dirt cheap for an LED light. Pelican makes an LED version of the Saber light for $35-40. No switch but the twist on/twist off method has its own issues.

I have two Torrents and have not managed to break a switch yet in several cave dives with it. It doe shave a tendency to turn it self on if you are not careful about how you carry the light, but with the burn time it has it is not a major issue.

I have the Princeton Tech and would always choose Princeton Tech over UK when possible because of much better customer service

My Torrent has been fine, so far. I bought a second one and retired both Surges.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom