UK Light Canon Vs. C8 LED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Question: IS the UK "Light Canon" much brighter than the UK C8 LED light?

Went diving last night. I had a UK C8, my buddy had the LED version of the UK C8. The difference was incredible. His looked so much brighter. So my plan was to either buy the LED "upgrade" module for my C8.

But then I start reading here about the UK "Light Canon". Is the LC much brighter than the C8 LED? I would think it might be from the way people talk about it but I read the specs UK says thier LED lamp is as bright as an 18W halogen and they claim the light canon is as bright at a 25W halogen. Thats only 33% brighter which would be just maybe noticable. When you compare the specs, you wonder why anyone is buying the light canon. Did I miss something?

Has anyone used both the Light Canon and the C8 LED? Is there a big difference? I want to buy a new light before my next night dive

ChrisA:
Question: IS the UK "Light Canon" much brighter than the UK C8 LED light?

Went diving last night. I had a UK C8, my buddy had the LED version of the UK C8. The difference was incredible. His looked so much brighter. So my plan was to either buy the LED "upgrade" module for my C8.

But then I start reading here about the UK "Light Canon". Is the LC much brighter than the C8 LED? I would think it might be from the way people talk about it but I read the specs UK says thier LED lamp is as bright as an 18W halogen and they claim the light canon is as bright at a 25W halogen. Thats only 33% brighter which would be just maybe noticable. When you compare the specs, you wonder why anyone is buying the light canon. Did I miss something?

Has anyone used both the Light Canon and the C8 LED? Is there a big difference? I want to buy a new light before my next night dive
Do you have a rechargable C8? The standard C8 is 13.2W, but the rechargable C8 is either 13.2W or 20W. That's quite a difference. The C8 eLED is either 3W or 6W, but it's supposed to be much more efficient at generating light so that comparison isn't very relevant.

I'm trying to decide what light to get as well, but I'm staying away from the HID because they're so expensive, and practically everyone I've talked to said they break very easily and they're expensive to repair.

I've been considering the C8 eLED and the D4. The C8 eLED is supposed to last a very long time, be easier on batteries and generate a lot of light, but I like the D4 because it has the option of a lantern grip. (I'm planning to get NiMH batteries separately.)

Daryl Morse:
I've been considering the C8 eLED and the D4. The C8 eLED is supposed to last a very long time, be easier on batteries and generate a lot of light, but I like the D4 because it has the option of a lantern grip. (I'm planning to get NiMH batteries separately.)

There appear to be groves on the top of the C8 eLED that would
allow mounting of the lantern handle. I've not tried it or seen
it done but it looks like the handle might fit.
Sounds like a good question for UK. You might try e-mailing then

One trouble with the standard C8 or D8 is that while the batteries
do last a while, the bullb dimms with battery age so either you put
up with less light or replace the batteries whn they are only
1/3 used. Yes you can use rechargabls but they are 1.2 volts
when fresh and make dimmer light then new 1..5 volt alalines.
BOth the HID and the LED lights have electronics to feed the
lamp with constant voltage as the batteries age.

II ordered the C8 eLED from Scubatoys as they were able to match LP's $75.00 price.

The Light Cannon is definitely brighter than the C8 eLED. However, the eLED has got the same very white color as the HID bulb and that makes a huge difference underwater.

The Light Cannon is a lot brighter, but it is more expensive and the HID bulb seems to somewhat fragile. Just about all of my buddies with Light Cannons have managed to break a bulb over the past year. (Of course, if they'd just stop banging them on rocks all the time... :wink: ) It's probably a better choice if you're looking for a video light.

The eLED is closer in price to a normal C8, and the eLED is as bright as the standard 13 W halogen bulb. The difference is that the eLED light temperature is very white compared to the yellowish light from the standard C8. Another HUGE advantage to the eLED is the incredible battery life - I've got 21 cold water dives on the light with the original batteries!! In comparison, I found that I'd get at most 6-8 dives on the standard C8 with a fresh set of batteries. I think there's a couple of reasons for this: first, the eLED consumes only about 50% of the power that the standard bulb draws. Second, the reduced power draw means that the batteries aren't pushed as hard, further increasing their life. This is a big deal in cold water because cold temperature really reduces battery life if you're running at a high power output. [In electrochemical terms, the reduced power draw allows the batteries to run further from the non-linear mass transport knee in their polarization curve, reducing polarization losses. This effect is even more pronounced in cold water due to the generally reduced kinetics of the battery electrochemistry, reducing the rate of reactant consumption.] Finally, the C8 eLED is really tough - LEDs are hard to break, and are a lot tougher that the filaments in halogen bulbs. Of course, I still wouldn't advocate banging it around - the polycarbonate lens on the light is still a weak point in any dive light and you don't want to crack it.

Personally, I dive with a C8 eLED and I'm very happy with it. I'm planning to upgrade my standard C8 in the future as well.

ditto.

I haven't seen the e-C8 underwater, but the light cannon is, well, a light cannon. It's in a different class from the C8. Think of the cannon as a huge light saber. *cue Star Wars theme* whoosh. whoosh. whoosh.

As others have said, there is no comparison in brightness. The LC100 Light Cannon will blow away the C8 eLED in raw output. However, the eLED is quite bright and much easier on your battery budget. It is likely also more durable (although I have banged my LC around pretty hard and it's still going strong).

Even in the C4 body the eLED module is quite effective. Not as bright as when running off of 8 cells, but the very white color goes a log way on little power.

There are some who feel too much light is not enough, but there are times when I have found the LC to be a little too much. I carry a C4 eLED and a PT40 as backups, and have, on occation used one of them instead.

If you are on a budget, get the eLED module for your C8. I think you will be very happy with it.

ChrisA:
...Yes you can use rechargabls but they are 1.2 volts when fresh and make dimmer light then new 1.5 volt alalines. BOth the HID and the LED lights have electronics to feed the lamp with constant voltage as the batteries age.
Actually, that's not true. Alkalines are very poor at delivering high current, and in high powered lights their voltage will sag under load. Rechargeables, on the other hand, can deliver very high currents with little or no voltage sag (this is why rechargeable kits often include a much more powerful lamp). So in a high powered light rechargeables often deliver equal or more voltage than Alkalines, and their output is more stable (less dimming) so you get a higher average output over the life of the batteries. The trade off is shorter run time.

The 10W Solarc HID lights are not regulated and will dim as battery life/voltage fades. The color temperature will also change, but in the opposite direction of Halogen light. Halogens get warmer (more yellow-orange) as power fades, but HID lights get cooler (more blue-purple).

The more powerful HID lights (18W+) are regulated.

LED lights may or may not be regulated, depending on the design. The eLED modules from UK do have some form of regulation, but the module is brighter on 8 cells than on 4 and will dim a bit as batteries fade, so it appears they are not fully regulated (possibly a buck-boost voltage regulator, instead of a proper current regulator).

Aloha, iG

illumiGeek -

From your various posts on this forum, you clearly know lights... I just bought a UK C8 eLED (still waiting for it to arrive) and given your comments on Alkalines, I'd like to get the rechargeables. I've never bought rechargeable batteries though... What do you think of the standard rechargeable kit sold for the C8 eLED? Or, what type/specs of rechargeables do you recommend for the this light and where is a good place to buy them (online or local)?

Back
Top Bottom