UK C8 or UK Light cannon 100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beejw

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im currently considering both models based on there merrits and what i can find online.

does anyone have experince with these lights?

the light cannon is nearly 3 times the price of the c8, but the c8 has two bulbs. the c8 is yellow light, while the light cannon is white light.

Which is best for all round use during wreck penetration and night diving?

Beej.:light:

Which c8? The new c8 eled plus actually does have 2 led's and the light is quite white.

The eled has a single led, also quite white. The standard c8 (non- led)does in fact have yellow light.

I would think that a comparison between the eled plus and the Light Cannon would be more appropriate. In that case the eled would of course not be a bright but quite tough. You'll find a number of threads in this forum that discuss both lights.

HTH

Shockwave LED...

I have both of those lights. The Light Cannon is vastly superior. If price is an issue and you can't afford the HID light, then definitely go for a D8, not a C8, it will not be enough light. I recommend the Pelican Aqua King, it also has a dual filament xenon lamp, but is significantly brighter than the UK C8, and only slightly more expensive.

EDIT: since the OP mentioned the C8 being one-third the price of the Light Cannon, he clearly is discussing the Sunlight C8 and not the eLED.

beejw:
Im currently considering both models based on there merrits and what i can find online.

does anyone have experince with these lights?

the light cannon is nearly 3 times the price of the c8, but the c8 has two bulbs. the c8 is yellow light, while the light cannon is white light.

Which is best for all round use during wreck penetration and night diving?

Beej.:light:

Current LED technology can't beat HID light. The primary advantage of LED light is the battery life, not light beam.

There are huge difference between HID and LED light in underwater...

There is no question to go with UK HID canon for the wreck penetration and night diving.

I think it also depends on where you will be diving and the conditions! To my great surprise, my SL4eLED proved to be more than enough (almost too much) for night diving in the caribean...

Since you're considering bigger lights, I presume you will be diving with less visibility... But instead of presuming, why don't you shed some light on this for us (pun intended!:D ) and describe your most usual conditions?

If you're going to be doing wreck penetrations, I would tend to opt for the smallest light possible, that will do the job.

Just my 0.02$

thanks so far.

most of the diving ill be doing will be in fairly diverse conditions, with vis ranging from as much as 40+ metres to as little as 2 metres. Also, over the next two years ill be training as an instructor (from OW) so i need something rugged and reliable that will last 100+ dives a year for the next two years.

I think the light cannon might be a better option as it can double as a camera light later on.

cheers.

From what I've seen locally, I would not describe the light cannon as 'rugged & reliable" but YMMV.

In water, the HID is vastly superior. I only use LEDs for backup lights.

I have the light cannon, and I think the name suits it. It's such a great deal compared to other HID lights out there. Got mine on scubatoys. Right now it's my primary until I get enough money to buy a canister HID, and then the UK 100 will be my backup.

Back
Top Bottom