UK 600 or UK1200 lights for tech dives, my blunder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trymixdiver

Reaction score
I was using the 1200 as my primary light. I have no need of a canister light its just not needed for my diving style.

I think the 600 and 1200 are just too bulky and you cant really put it anywhere but on your wrist using a lanyard. I have switched to 2 smaller lights ( scout from Halcyon and a sl4) these seem to work perfectly for me, they are configured DIR style on the shoulder straps. For my dives i think the bulky lights ( non canister) are useless, smaller lights work best for me.

Try doing a surf entry in tech gear and having some damn UK1200 hanging from your wrist. The DIR light config allows me to do surf entries with my hands free other than fins.

now i have a few lights im not gonna use, a waste of $. Hope someone else can learn from my blunder.

Andy

I still use a Princeton Tec Shockwave - I keep it on a coiled lanyard from LeisurePro that clips off on my left shoulder D-ring. This allows me to clip it off when I'm not using it (and I can also drop it during the dive if needed and the coiled lanyard keeps it tethered). Shore entries aren't a problem - it's resting against your chest. Not DIR, but it's ample for my current diving needs. Like you, I can't justify a canister light (a drysuit and pair of DS4s are higher on my list of priorities). Backups are Canadian Extreme scout lookalikes. The coiled lanyard might be a solution to your wrist lanyard problem. Go to LeisurePro and do a search for SKU: AQUQCL to see what I'm talking about.

I have tried alot of diff ways to attach it. I used a wrist lanyard and bolt snap most reciently. But with my new lights and securing them to the harness D rings on the shoulder straps i think for me its the best solution.

i didnt like the swinging light syndromne when its clipped off to the harness ( long walk to the beach). I also didnt like the bulk of the light, i dont need a big light like that for my dives.

I have 2 Uk 600s and 1 UK 1200 that i used before tech diving. I was just trying to use what i had for my tech dives. Now i never use them because of there bulk. I am not knocking UK at all, hell i bought 3 of there lights, they just dont work for my tech dives. i would much rather carry 2 or 3 smaller 3 or 4 "C" cell lights for ease of attachment.

Andy

I will just sell the UK Lights at the next dive swap meet, may as well use the $ to get 1 light i can use.

step 1:

attach bolt snap to handle with cave line or parachute cord, about half way down. Keep the leash short. placing the snap
half-way down keeps the light from swinging too much when
it is clipped off to shoulder d-ring.

step 2:

take some shock cord and pass it around-and-around (a few
times) through the 'slot' in the handle so you've created a
multi-piece "bracelet". Knot the ends of the shock cord and then
use a zip-tie to keep the knotted ends together.

this "bracelet" should be large enough to place over your hand
and onto your wrist while allowing you to hold the light by
the handle. if you need to let go of the light the shock-cord
"bracelet" keeps it from falling away. when you need to
re-clip the light to your shoulder d-ring you can stretch the
'bracelet' over the body of the light so it is not dangling.

If you want pics let me know and I'll do my best to provide
some.

I use a princeton tec on a short wrist cord clipped to my shoulder D'ring. In Scotland a good torch is generaly essential if you go deeper than 10 meters. I would like an HID canister like extreme exposure or dive rite but so far I am unable to part with my money :D

Hey budgy,

If you want a canister light, check out AUL - much cheaper than Halcyon, and they have HID as well. You might be able to get one shipped across the Atlantic to you.

cheers

Ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom