Uflm150-zm80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knackas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been told this little lens as well as being a very good up close lens can also shoot wide angle, as in you can take shots of say a whale shark. I was hoping some divers with experience in using this lens could also shed some light on the capabilities and short comings of this lens.

Thanks Layla

Everything I have read about this lens and I've read a lot, does say it is a great little lens for up close shooting. I will end up buying it for the macro alone but was curious if anyone had tested it as a general wide angle fish eye. I was given the previous information by a well respected shop who sells all ranges of lenses and makes and models. I also find it hard to believe from what I've read, hence the thread post.

@ KNACKS
I have the bug and the stackable macro with the S95 and the two behave very differently
the Bug is not a macro lens and should not be used as one, it has a purpose which it was designed for

This is from my experience .... of course other people will disagree

BTW ... also love the stackable macro

---------- Post Merged at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:12 AM ----------

Well,
It depends
The bug will fit the whole whale shark in it as part of the wide angle part of the shot, and of course you will have and macro ie, nudi or shrimp

This lens is afocal but in essence you can only use it up to half foot and you can't fit a whale shark at that distance...

I'd really like to see your bug shots, Interceptor
I'm going to get down the lake and try a few more sets in the next couple of weeks

I don't have this lens. I had a look at it at dive show and after consideration of the specs decided not to buy it
I don't really like that effect and also I can't be bothered by the mount
Inon does a good job at specifications if you read them carefully you see that at half foot you are already at maximum zoom...
For what concerns the whale sharks are you sure the lens would have such a depth of field to even focus on both?
Taking a shot of a nudi and have a whale shark nicely hovering for yo Ito full your frame sounds unlikely
That sounds really some outstanding composition to have!

Hold on ....
You looked at the lens at the dive show and decided not to buy it because of the specs & you can't be bothered by the mount??

I can't make a judgement unless I have first hand use of the item
what difference does th emount make ... absolutely none in my opinion

My composition of the whaleshark is bc that is what the OP mentioned
ok, rhinopia & diver .... whatever, the design of the lens is very very clever and it does what it sets out to achieve, a wonderful effect away from the boring images some people take

My practice TWO dives with crocs, sharks & beer bottles which you have seen is nothing compared with what I have achieved since

Those are your props toys a little bit different from a real wild animal
The lens is designed to work at 80mm zoom and won't have any depth of field so your little toys may be in focus but a real animal far away won't its just optics

You miss the point of the lens ... it is the environment which is of importance
... it's ok, never mind

You can read about it in my book

Am not missing the point I have looked at the inon gallery and how you can use the lens
The prospect of the fisheye on a small subject does not appeal to me and when I consider the mount you have to use with this lens this kills any flexibility do for this reason I didn't consider it
Reading the specifications of the equipment you intend to buy is essential as usually other than looking at test shots you can't test the lens

Back
Top Bottom