UDI diver location device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FairyBasset

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for an underwater Diver Location Device and was hoping you guys may be able to help me.

I have already got various pieces of equipment which allow for surface location. However I am looking for a device that facilitates recovery underwater, should something happen to me underwater.

You have an avalanche pinger in snow gear, which allows search and rescue teams to find you if you are buried in snow. I was wondering is there was something similar for diving.

I am going on a trip where there are strong currents and I feel it would be good to have such a device if it exists.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited:
The BEST safety precautions are excellent buddy skills (both you and the other diver), proper & well maintained equipment, pre-dive checks, communication, planning and, more importantly, DIVING WITHIN YOUR LIMITS!!!!

I guess it's handy if you're worried they won't be able to find your body.

I am looking for an underwater Diver Location Device...

I have already got various pieces of equipment which allow for surface location. However I am looking for something which would allow me to be recovered, should something happen to me underwater...

I am going on a trip where there are strong currents and I would like to take all safety precautions possible.
A device that facilitates recovery underwater is not a safety item, it's a courtesy to the divers that retrieve your dead body. If for some reason you can't surface of your own volition, you will have exhausted your gas supply a long time before anybody saves you with an underwater diver location device.

No electronic device is a substitute for proper buddy procedures and good dive skills. If either of those are lacking then the best way to keep track of your buddy to is to stay on the surface with them and not do the dive.

I think it is quite obvious that good buddy skills and diving within your limits are the most important safety precaution.

However I posted this question with a view to getting information about a recovery device, so if anyone has some information on what devices are available, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sport & Scout

They have a transmitter and receiver. The transmitter is usually on the boat and the diver zeroes in on it. You could use it in reverse where you carry the transmitter.

There are more powerful pingers that are used to recover oceanographic instruments but they require an expensive receiver tuned to the right frequency. An aternative would be to rent an oceanographic pinger. If worse comes to worse your relatives could rent the receiver if a recovery was necessary.

If you had such a thing, who would have the equip to be looking for you?

By "recovery underwater" do you mean body recovery? Possible to be in snow and still breathe, so search doesn't have to be instantaneous. Doesn't work in the water.

intended for body recovery

Not to state the obvious, but if you're concerned enough about the currents to be worried about a recovery (vs. rescue?) maybe you would do better getting tips on dealing with the currents?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom