U/W Photos from Roatan (Mar 8-21, 2014) Reef House

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very nice. How about a trip report on Reef House?

I'll write something up over the coming weekend. In a nutshell .... very impressed with RHR compared to my experience 2 years ago. I'd go back again without hesitation.

C.

Great pix. great micro!

What RHR needs in terms of SB questions is pix of the boats, dive op and rooms.

Great pix. great micro!

What RHR needs in terms of SB questions is pix of the boats, dive op and rooms.

Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately, I didn't take any topside pictures this trip.

Here's the text of my TripAdvisor report:

I spent 2 weeks at Reef House Resort (RHR) in March 2014. I'd been there once before, so I knew what to expect. It is definitely more "house" than "resort" according to North American standards.

In a nutshell: the dive op is first rate (not fancy); the accommodations are clean with working satelite TV and plenty of safe drinking water available; the meals are not fancy but the food is plentiful and tasty (including some lobster based meals.. ask about having fried lobster one night); the internet (when it works) is relatively high-speed wireless available in rooms and at the bar; the property is secure (no problems with theft - I never locked my room); and the staff are genuinely interested in trying to make sure you have a pleasant stay. There's nothing to do for non-divers - no real beach or swimming pool and "going to town" is a logistical challenge (water taxi - taxi - water taxi). Take your watch off when you get there and relax with good food, and great diving.

I have only one thing to complain about .... despite repeated email confirmations of an updated arrival time, no-one met me at the airport. I took a cab ($30US) to the dock where Dave (resort property manager and owener's son) met me for a short skiff ride to the RHR. Dave paid the taxi fare, so I wasn't out of pocket. My buddy arrived a few days prior to me and unfortunately had the same experience. On a related tack .... some guests weren't expecting to be picked up or returned to the airport by RHR, and were responsible for their own taxi fares to/from the RHR. I'd suggest having a clear understanding (in writing) of pick up / drop off pre-arrangements if you've made them with RHR.

Diving with Davitt (DM) and Choco (Capt'n) was always an adventure. We headed out each day at 0900 hrs for 2 dives (average 60 min each), then back to the property for lunch before heading out again at 1430 hrs for the third dive of the day (also about an hour). Back to the HRH by about 4'ish. Most dive sites are within 15 minutes ride from the dock, occasionally up to 25 minutes. This trip RHR did something different (and I really enjoyed it) and sent the boat about 40 min west to Mary's Place and then further to the Prince Albert wreck in CoCo View Channel, we had picnic lunch at the Fantasy Island dock before the 1 hr ride back to RHR. A night dive from the boat is provided one night per week (weather permitting) in place of the afternoon dive. The dive boat is older, and slower than others but it was comfortable and handled some big wind driven waves easily. Nitrox may be available (arrange in advance), we dove air the whole time. I managed 38 dives over 13 diving days (3 per day for 12 days and 2 on my last diving day), and logged just over 38 hours of bottom time. There's lots of macro and smaller fish life on the reefs, with the occasional larger critter (I saw 2 nurse sharks, a group of three spotted eagle rays, and one turtle in 38 dives). Water temp in March 2014 averaged 81/82oF, and I dove in either a 2mm shorty wetsuit or bathing suit and long sleeve sunblock/rash guard shirt.

Meals are served family style at large tables in the dining room. Portions are big, and food is tasty and well prepared. Expect simple meals, and explore the available spices to liven things up. Desserts at supper were made in-house (vs McCain frozen cakes last time I was here). I never went to bed hungry and never got sick from anything I ate.

Rooms are well kept, with daily housekeeping service. Flat screen TV's with satelite service in each room. Towels and soap are provided, but bring your own shampoo. The A/C units all seemed to be working and I could keep my room comfortable (I like to sleep in a cooler environment). Each room has private bathroom with shower, sink and toilet. It did take a little getting used to not putting tissue into the toilet, there's a separate garbage bucket provided (emptied daily) - but I understand that septic systems can be fussy.

The bar operates on an honor system ($1.50 for soda / $2.50 local beer) and has "happy hour" (snacks come out) at about 1700 hrs (dinner at 1800 hrs, give or take a bit some days).

Mosquitoes and no-seeum's are a problem particulary on lower legs and feet, especially at night when the wind dies down or when inside the dining area. Use a good bug repellant to minimize the annoyance.

I'd say that there has been a huge improvement in the quality of food, the property is being maintained and kept clean, and the diving is top-notch. Definitely on the list of places I'd go back to.

Happy to answer any questions about RHR.

C.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom