U/W Photography Instructional Book Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sarita75

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all. I am trying to get into u/w photography with my Canon A710 (point and shoot) and would like to try and learn a bit about the subject, gear (types of strobes, etc. etc.). I searched Amazon for books on the subject and was overwhelmed by the sheer number of books on the subject.

So … I come for your infinite wisdom.

Are there any books that you have used that have been helpful? Any that are just complete useless? I am not overexposed (haha! Like that pun?) to photographic skills, so a book that keeps it relatively “easy” would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Check out the Pink Link in my signature (the Sticky at the top of the UW Photo area).

Inside you will find a whole post dedicated to books with a great link to more.

Jim Church's Essential Guide to Composition is, well, an essential.

Also look at Martin Edge's book, The Underwater Photographer. It's my favorite.

sarita75:
Hello all. I am trying to get into u/w photography with my Canon A710 (point and shoot) and would like to try and learn a bit about the subject, gear (types of strobes, etc. etc.). I searched Amazon for books on the subject and was overwhelmed by the sheer number of books on the subject.

So … I come for your infinite wisdom.

Are there any books that you have used that have been helpful? Any that are just complete useless? I am not overexposed (haha! Like that pun?) to photographic skills, so a book that keeps it relatively “easy” would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Trust me when I tell you DO NOT waste any money on book(s).........Everything you need to know is written in Alcina's signature......nothing else is needed......click my link to see some of my pics........Following her instructions got me these pics, shot with a Canon A570is with no external strobe last month @ Little Cayman & on the Fling....good luck & I'm serious, save your money..........

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w169/GEAUXtiger/UW%20PS%20Pics/?start=0

diver 85:
Trust me when I tell you DO NOT waste any money on book(s).........Everything you need to know is written in Alcina's signature......nothing else is needed......click my link to see some of my pics........Following her instructions got me these pics, shot with a Canon A570is with no external strobe last month @ Little Cayman & on the Fling....good luck & I'm serious, save your money..........

You're too kind :wink: A couple of little notes:

1) That Pink Link/Sticky is a compilation of information that I've put together. Some is my own but most if from our great members here. I cannot take all the credit!

2) Buying books is never a waste of money imho. Especially the books that have made this list. One of the contributor's to the list, randapex, is one of those people who just "gets it" and produces beautiful, thoughtful images...I highly respect his sense in these matters and know from personal experience the books on his list are great investments for this hobby.

3) Cheat...don't buy, hit your local library first. Then when you find those two or three that you can't live without, just buy those. :wink:

4) Get out there and shoot! No books will ever replace doing. So have fun!

5) Show us - we are greedy for underwater images :D

alcina:
3) Cheat...don't buy, hit your local library first. Then when you find those two or three that you can't live without, just buy those. :wink:

4) Get out there and shoot! No books will ever replace doing. So have fun!

5) Show us - we are greedy for underwater images :D

I have yet to read through Alcina's sticky as personal committments have kept me really busy the last day or so. I will be doing it this evening though. I ended up buying the Michael Edge book online last night as the library here in San Francisco seems to have a appauling collection of books on the subject and the only ones they DO have cannot be checked out.

As for getting out there - can't wait - this weekend! The problem that I have, however, is the Monterey, CA conditions don't resemble those of Cayman, etc. I get excited about 10' vis so the scatter and such makes photography a bit more complicated. Counting the days (well,..... months really) until Florida where I get good vis. I just want to get to the point where I am taking photographs that have good composition, to understand equipment (strobes, esp) in the event of a future purchase, etc.

Should have some more photos next week provided I don't do something daft like forget the housing for the camera. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom