Best underwater shipwreck photographic book ever!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great book, thanks for the recommendation. Here is interesting video on the same topic I came across last year. I'm sure it's been covered somewhere here.
enjoy

I think you have to separate Asia -- especially developing Asia, which I include China in -- from the rest of the world in this case. Most of the US east coast wrecks are in no danger of being scrapped. I've seen the argument that they get more and more decrepit and become unsalvageable over time, but I'm OK with that. The value of a bell or any other wreck junk in some dive shop or bar is zero in my opinion. I assumed the Baltic was better protected -- and more respected by visitors -- and I'm glad to hear that is the case. Thank you for your notes!

When one spends the time, safety, and money finding "accessible" shipwrecks, you will gain a appreciation for the knick knacks you find first. It does no good letting stuff sit on the bottom.

I think you have to separate Asia -- especially developing Asia, which I include China in -- from the rest of the world in this case. Most of the US east coast wrecks are in no danger of being scrapped. I've seen the argument that they get more and more decrepit and become unsalvageable over time, but I'm OK with that. The value of a bell or any other wreck junk in some dive shop or bar is zero in my opinion. I assumed the Baltic was better protected -- and more respected by visitors -- and I'm glad to hear that is the case. Thank you for your notes!
It happened at the home water in UK.

Divers fined £18,000 each for removing relics from Scapa Flow wrecks - The Orcadian Online

Some divers are known to have sticky fingers no matter where.

When one spends the time, safety, and money finding "accessible" shipwrecks, you will gain a appreciation for the knick knacks you find first. It does no good letting stuff sit on the bottom.

Sorry, we'll never agree on that. I've done many tough things in the outdoors and never had any inclination to own any of it. Your approach means that, eventually, there will be nothing left to see on many wrecks.

Sorry, we'll never agree on that. I've done many tough things in the outdoors and never had any inclination to own any of it. Your approach means that, eventually, there will be nothing left to see on many wrecks.
Nothing left to see by the wreck divers and how about the general public?
I have no problem if the salvage work is properly done and the recovered artifacts displayed to the public.

Mary Rose - Wikipedia

I am very much in the camp of nothing should be taken off wrecks, all my local wrecks have been heavily scavenged in the 60's and 70's and they are just empty hollow shells. The only thing of interest is the fish and marine life they attract which is spectacular in it's own right.

We have a wreck that is 70+m (the SS Tasman) and has only been dived by handful of people protected by historic shipwreck legislation, but it is not the legislation that protects it is the depth, it is littered with artifacts, bottles, china, brass and is just a joy to see and dive each time I get the opportunity. A few artifacts have been taken under permit by the team that located the wreck for displayed in a local museum, and I am fine with that, but nothing else needs to be taken.

Keep in mind depth may not be an issue forever. I don't think it will be long before UAV with basic operable arms will be widely available.

We have a wreck that is 70+m (the SS Tasman) and has only been dived by handful of people protected by historic shipwreck legislation, but it is not the legislation that protects it is the depth, it is littered with artifacts, bottles, china, brass and is just a joy to see and dive each time I get the opportunity. A few artifacts have been taken under permit by the team that located the wreck for displayed in a local museum, and I am fine with that, but nothing else needs to be taken.
Public displaying is fine with me.

The incidence happened in Scapa Flow is a good indication that human greed recognizes no boundary or law.

It's a controversial topic to many. Many things play into it. Ships of war are hallowed ground to many, but a steamer that foundered with no loss of life holds little sentiment. People who ride the coattails of the wreck hunters who put their time and energy in search and discovery are always the ones who complain they don't get to see or take stuff themselves. In the end the wrecks and their contents WILL be destroyed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom