U/W Capture the Flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkmasterbc

Contributor
Reaction score
Need some help here...I've always wanted to orginize U/W capture the flag but as for the rules ???
How many people would be into it ?
How many buddy teams in the water at the same time ?
Lets get the brainstorming going and make this happen !!!

Organizing from the other side of the ocean... now that's enthusiasm.
Well, like any dive the profile would have to be planned. And any buddy team returning with less than 500 (750?) psi would be disqualified. As would anyone that blows the profile. And of course anyone that loses a buddy & tries to continue with the game.
As for how many buddy teams... that depends entirely on how many are interested. Maybe a max of 6 on each side. It would depend on the site though.... Whytecliff?
Hell, I hardly remember the rules to capture the flag... so that's about all I can think of for now.

Standard capture the flag involves two teams with one flag per team. Each team hides/guards their flag and trys to capture the other teams flag without being caught.

We could set up a rectangular "field" using rope so divers could see where the team boundries are. Each dive group is given a map of the play area.

Perhaps we could start out with two teams with several dive groups per team. The first group from each team in the water hide their flag on opposite sides of the play area. Depending on how many divers are involved, a team could have a group(s) in the water and a group(s) on the shore. Once a dive group finds the other teams flag they have to bring it to a certain point.

That's a start. How should divers be able to defend their own flag? No, not with a dive knife or speargun...

No team should be allowed to "camp" by their flag to protect it but...if you see another buddy pair (from opposite team) with your flag trying to make it to the predetermined exit point you may intercept them and take your flag back to hide it again.
The flag could be some kind of elastic armband so once found would be placed on your arm.
I think once the flag is found the buddy team should have to get it out of the water onto shore and put it somewhere predetermined.
The game needs a time limit that is strictly adheared to and also a sure fire way to recall divers once the flag was captured...also a depth limit and a rule for wankers who silt the place up...maybe if you are caught rototilling by an opposing buddy team they would place a specific color band on you and once you received 3 of them it would be just like being RED CARDED !!!
or there could be a number of flags and at the end of say 60min the game is ended and the flags counted...
keep the ideas comming, and yes ness it has been a dream of mine for a while so why not orginize it from an internet cafe in Auckland, NZ :p
I would of course fly back to participate...

Don't think whyecliff is to good an idea
Wouldn't Porteau be better? My reasoning is because there are alot of classes happening at Whytecliff and it will stir up all the silt at the botton of that area making visibility poor. And the buoys at Porteau could be the boundary for the game.

IMHO Porteau is too big...and all the other people at Whytecliff would just add to the gameYou may think you've found someone of the opposite team but it might be a O/W class ???
I think the worse the vis the harder the game will be.
It will be a matter of who has the best navigation skills and knows the park well.
Also sometimes the4 currents at the cliff can be fun, even in the bay !
Lets plan this for sometime at least 2 months from now so I can make it back :D

Can't be too hard though, noobies (myself included) is interested as well!!!
Come on people more ideas!!!

I guess U/W jousting on DPV's would be a bit dangerous...but at the same time fun, I wonder if I can get PADI to make up a waiver form for that ???

For capture the flag I think there would have to be waiver forms signed in case someone decides that breaching the surface at 40mpm would be fun.
For anyone who wants to play this game I would suggest working on a few things before even considering it. Navigation skills, buoyancy skills, buddy skills. Without these you will either 1. get lost 2. keep poping up to the surface which we all know is very good if you want to see the inside of a chamber or 3. completly loose contact with your buddy, in which case the game should be over for you.
Honestly this game could be a lot of fun or a terrible experiance for you depending on your skill level in the water.
Here's what I figure so far.
2 teams 12 people each (6 buddy teams per side)
12 flags (6 of each color)
one appointed team from each side will go out and place/hide the flags on a designated area in the bay, once completed they will return to shore.
The remaining 5 buddy pairs from each side will be up in the parking lot w/o gear on. At some point the game will start and the teams will have a total of 60 min to kit up, get in the water and find as many flags as possible.
Once a buddy team has found a flag from the opposing team they will have to get it back up to the beach w/o getting seen/caught by anyone on the other team.
The game will end if 1. the time limit is reached 2. all 6 flags are retreived by either team.
At no time will there be any physica contact underwater, if approached by the opposite team and you have a flag of theirs you must give it up.
No camping around your own flags.
No one deeper than 12m.(comps and depth guages will be monitored at the end of game and if anyone is below depth they will be DQ'd and the flags thy retreived will not count.
Anyone surfacing with less than 800psi (assuming it's an al 80) will also be DQ'd.
Anyone who surfaces more than 2 times during the game will be beached (this does not count if you are returning to the beach with a flag)
Anyone who surfaces w/o their buddy will be DQ'd
The signal to end the game will have to be worked out...maybe banging on a tank at 55 min or something, anyone still in the water after the 60 min is up will also be RED CARDED !!!

What does everyone think so far

ness I'm still the control freak you know me as :D muhahaha

sharkmasterbc:
At no time will there be any physica contact underwater, if approached by the opposite team and you have a flag of theirs you must give it up.

Do you get to choose your own buddy, or will you be partnered up with a more experienced diver?
Why is physical contact not allowed? What do you mean by "approached," how do we know that the member of the opposite team just happens to be facing us when we captured the flag? Maybe a tug on the fins or a tap on the shoulder would be better? Or a slap on the butt? :eyebrow:

I only say no phisical contact because, and I quote my course director on this one
"People will start stabbing each other and cutting hoses, turning off air and such"
A simple tap on the shoulder would be ok i guess...
I would say having a buddy you are familliar with would be a bonus but we could also just randonly pair people up...

just my 2 bubbles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom