u.s. cell phones in the caymans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdwho

Contributor
Reaction score
As much as I hate the idea, I'm going to need to be in touch with work during my upcoming Grand/Little Cayman scuba trip. What's the current situation with U.S. cell phones in the Caymans? Will my verizon service work there or do I need to make some alternative arrangements?

Thanks

sdwho

sdwho:
As much as I hate the idea, I'm going to need to be in touch with work during my upcoming Grand/Little Cayman scuba trip. What's the current situation with U.S. cell phones in the Caymans? Will my verizon service work there or do I need to make some alternative arrangements?

Thanks

sdwho

Really, you need to check directly with Verizon. I had no trouble receiving calls and voicemail notices with my AT&T GMS Treo 650 on Grand Cayman last month, but Verizon is on a different type network. Plus, you will want to see if they have an international plan that will reduce your per-minute fees.

Cameron

My Sprint phone did not work on Grand Cayman, but that was a few years ago (2001 I think).

nossir... my Sprint didn't work in the Caymans, and i believe the same is
true for most other US providers unless they have a roaming agreement

which most don't

sdwho:

Thanks

sdwho
My Cingular service has worked on all three islands.....much as I also hate to use it while on holiday!

Jamdiver:
Hey sdwho,

Did a bit of research for you. Based on Verizon's website it doesn't seem that they have a roaming agreement for Cayman. http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/internationalsvcs/cdmaroaming.jsp
It seems strange that they wouldn't.

But i'd still check out C&W's Cayman website http://www.cwinternet.ky/internet/products/mobile-services/roaming/
and Digicel's Cayman website, just to be sure. www.digicelcayman.com

Good luck.

If you want to use a verizon phone in cayman you have to contact the local provider (just try and make a call and you get the recording on how to do it).. it is possible with wither the standard trimode phone and the global phone (gsm/CDMA combo).

it will be the cheapest if you rent a global phone that use a local service once on the island..

We have service both with Verizon and Cingular. We have been unsuccessful using our Verizon cell in Grand Cayman. Our solution was to go buy a pre-paid Sim Card for the Cingular phone. This allowed us to make calls back to the US for 25 cents/minute. The only issue is that it gives you a Grand Cayman number, so you have to give that number to everyone you want to call you.

I think with Verizon, that you have to have International roaming/dialing enabled to make calls out of the country. FYI.

Now... you have to have this to use your phone out of the country with Verizon anywhere, but I still don't know if Cayman is supported.

During my trips in May 05 and 06, I was able to use my cingular service. I did have to call cingular BEFORE I left and asked them to turn on international roaming. Then I could both receive and place calls. Wasn't cheap but it worked.

Back
Top Bottom