Typical Zipper Lifetime

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingjd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What's the typical lifetime of a drysuit zipper, either in years or dives? I got to dive wet today in my CLX450 and it looks like a new zipper is in order. This will be the second zipper in about 11 years. Trying to figure out if I should plan on this as a regular thing or if this is an indication that I need to adopt better zipper hygiene. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Divingjd -

Great question. Zipper care is an important part of the life of a zipper. We have a few articles up on the DUI website regarding this. It's really not an easy question to answer. At the factory we have a machine that tests zippers. If the zipper is not lubricated it gets destroyed pretty fast. You mention 11 years and two zippers. Another question is how often you dive. Care is really important. Really!

Here are some links you might find helpful:

Waterproof drysuit zippers

Your Waterproof Zipper is the Heart and Soul of Your Drysuit - DUI Online - drysuits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCcG55MAAmQ

If you could, please prepare a "close-up image" of what extent of fraying should warrant trimming, and a close up of the actual trimming showing the extent of the trimming....

essentially, how bad should it be before you should act.... as well as how much/close should you trim it.

thanks!

From what I hear I think you are getting good life out of your zipper if it's only 2 in 11 years. I just replaced mine after 3 years. My LDS sells lots of DUI suits and tells me 2 - 4 years is not unusual depending on amount of dives and care of course.

The warranty on a new suit zipper is only one year I believe and only 90 days for a factory installed replacement after warranty. That sort of tells you something doesn't it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom