Typhoon Yolanda - Impact on Malapascua Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Further news from Help Malapascua, for those wishing to donate for the relief/reconstruction:

help malapascua.JPG

It's terrible to see the destruction. I wish you guys the best in rebuilding and getting back to your lives.

I just booked airfare to come diving in the Malapascua and Bohol areas next September for 3 weeks. Best of Luck and I will see you next year.

I'm sure a few Scubaboarders have drunk in this bar. The Craic house at Evolution Divers...

1393634_606442019417118_1863608332_n.jpg

...and an update from the team there (so glad to hear everyone is alive and well)...

View attachment 171131

oh yes we were there for its first Halloween party in 2010...

Craic 2.jpg
Craic 2010 Halloween.jpg

Hope to be back...

We also just went to Malapascua (16-23dec) and the Thresher sharks were still great (6 dives all filled with sharks :)), people are awesome (especially when you realize some of them don't have a house for the moment...).
Most of the resorts / dive shops have managed to reopen before the (sold-out) Christmas season, but the village was still pretty badly damaged. We figured, good way to support is to go and spend money...

I have not dove Malapascua (or anywhere in the PHP)... yet! I have been there recently and just wanted to remark about the Typhoon

I was part of relief ops for Yolanda from Nov 15-Dec 10. I was a volunteer for a charity called www.globalmedic.ca Our primary task was to get drinking water to those in need as well as medical aid and community shelters (ie feild hospitals etc). Initially our team scattered throughout the Visayas as nobody was really sure who needed help early on. I started in Cebu and did needs assessments to North Cebu namely Medellin, Danbutyin, Camotes and Malapascua (please excuse the spelling...).

To get to the point, Malapascua was wrecked it is true (I think we were there around Nov 20(?)) but what impressed me the most is how the businesses and resort operators were taking it upon themselves to get the WHOLE island up and running and especially in helping out the locals. Although they are somewhat isolated and took the storm head on they were recovering alot better than most places we went. Because of this we only spent a few hours there as other places needed our help more. I spent the rest of my time in the Tacloban area and our organization will be there for many more months

Malapascua made an impression on me and I plan to return for FUN and diving next time!

Anyone associated with Malapascua should be proud!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom