Typhoon and trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kenr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It looks like the Philippines are going to be hit with a major typhoon in the next few of days. i have a trip starting in HK on the 7th of December and plan on being in Bohol on the 13th and in Malapasua on the 18th. i have been checking tropicalstormrisk.com and they are projecting that the storm is going to track north of cebu. The storm is excepted to hit the Phil as a CAT 3 typhoon. Everything is booked I hope that everything will be back to normal very soon. I feel so bad for the Filipinos, I am afraid this is going to be very bad. My girl friend lives in San Jose Mindoro, right now its expected to track right through her town. We have plans on meeting in HK on the 7th. She may not be able to fly out as planned and I am very afraid now for her safety.

Ken

Hi Ken,

The typhoon looks pretty ominous but the Philippines gets a lot of storms so is better prepared, or atleast know what to expect, better than most. This is indeed a big storm and is looking to be much worse than a Cat 3 typhoon when it first makes landfall - Typhoon2000 has it as a Cat 5 or 6!

It's due to arrive Tuesday/Wednesday 4th/5th from the projections we are seeing - keep track on typhoon2000 (:: Typhoon2000.com® :: The Philippines' First Website on Tropical Cyclones (Since 1997)) as it gets closer. It shouldn't have much impact on your diving given the dates, but let hope it has minimal damage when it does hit.

Attachments

• activetrack.gif
    activetrack.gif
    70.5 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Karl, i didn't think typhoons were classified above Cat 5. Anyway, I find http://tropicalstormrisk.com/ to be one of the best websites to track major storms throughout the world. Right now its approaching Palau and will be there in a few hours, looks to have sustained winds for about 250 km/h, a potential cat 5.

Karl, i didn't think typhoons were classified above Cat 5.

Fingers crossed it dies down a little - Cat 6 is a relatively new introduction, and not universally agreed upon, basically it's anything over 280km/hr. Check out the Wikipedia link below:

Saffir

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom