Types of Drysuits ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karl-
Like CD said, I think you're thinking of an actual semi-dry suit. In that case, yes, you are going to be wet, and I'm sure it'd be easier to get chilled on your s.i.

As far as compressed neoprene drysuits go, DUI is not your only choice. Northern Diver, Diving Concepts, and Moby's all make compressed neoprene drysuits as well. And again, if it is a properly fitted drysuit with no holes, tears, or leaks, NO water will enter the suit and you will be SUBSTANTIALLY warmer than if you were in a shell (bi-lam OR trilam) drysuit.

If you haven't dove in a compressed neoprene DRYSUIT (not semi-dry) I would encourage you to do so before offering advice before or against it.

wn

wingnut once bubbled...
DUI is not your only choice. Northern Diver, Diving Concepts, and Moby's all make compressed neoprene drysuits as well.

Harvey's makes a 7mm and 4mm, the 7mm will keep you warm when hell freezes over.

cd

So I guess we have settled that there are 3 types of drysuits,

1) the shell suit
2) the crushed/compressed neoprene dry suit, and
3) the semi-dry crushed/compressed neoprene dry suit.

Take your pick.

So I guess we have settled that there are 3 types of drysuits...

Um, no. Yes, we have three types of drysuits commonly on the market, but you've got 2 out of 3.

a) crushed or compressed neoprene drysuit - offers some warmth and some insulation value, neoprene is already compressed, is completely dry inside.
b) bi-lam or tri-lam shell - dries quickly, is completely dry inside, no insulation value.
c) neoprene drysuit - warm, completely dry inside, but the neoprene compresses at depth and uncompresses as you ascend, contributing to buoyancy concerns.

Karl, with respect, please don't offer statements on issues you don't know anything about. A semi-dry suit is not a drysuit - it is a wetsuit. Furthermore, there is no such thing as a crushed or compressed neoprene semi-dry. All semi-dry's are full neoprene, and usually have seals at the neck, wrist and ankles to keep water transfer to a minimum.

Boogie711 once bubbled...

All semi-dry's are full neoprene, and usually have seals at the neck, wrist and ankles to keep water transfer to a minimum.

My lovely lady/buddy has a semi dry suit. It's basically a very high quality neoprene wetsuit with wrist, ankle and neck seals.

Works well? Absolutely...It's a fullsuit and is warmer than her two piece FJ was.

Is it a drysuit? Absolutely not...She comes out of the water just as wet as I do.

Scott

There has been a very comprehensive thread posted here on the board regarding the various drysuit types. See: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7462

"crushed neoprene" is a registered trademark.
It is very similar to Northern Diver's "hyper-compressed - resin injected" neoprene.
Both are tough as nails, and dry.

Thanks all. With everything here, and with that interesting thread from last year, I'm finally getting a bit more knowledgable. But I have a question.

I have seen the shell suits, and they look loose-fitting with LP air input valves and output valves and all, so it's easy to see how the underwear goes under them.

And I can imagine vulcanized rubber being similar.

I haven't seen a neoprene drysuit, or a compressed/crushed neoprene drysuit that i know if. But, when I think neoprene, I think of one like a wetsuit, and I know there's no room in my wetsuit for undies of any bulk or thinkness at all. So, am I visualizing these wrong? Are the neoprene loose fitting too? And do they also have air hoses and all? Or are they snug to the body and just sealed well?

AND, how are prices on these things? Just ballpark, I'd like to know which are the most expensive.

=Steve=

Under a neoprene suit you can fit an undergarment, they are not as loose as some of the shell suits though. They are more insulating however so you do not require as much ug. The valves are basically the same, add air to increase warmth and keep the squeeze out (or for buoyancy that's another debate) and vent valves at shoulder or wrist.

Any of the suits are going to run from base of around 900 bucks US to more than 2000, decent suit will probably run you around $1500.

spthomas once bubbled...

I haven't seen a neoprene drysuit, or a compressed/crushed neoprene drysuit that i know if. But, when I think neoprene, I think of one like a wetsuit, and I know there's no room in my wetsuit for undies of any bulk or thinkness at all. So, am I visualizing these wrong? Are the neoprene loose fitting too? And do they also have air hoses and all? Or are they snug to the body and just sealed well?

AND, how are prices on these things? Just ballpark, I'd like to know which are the most expensive.

=Steve=

Neoprene is different than crushed/compressed in that the plain neoprene is closer fitting. Crushed/compressed are more like a heavy tri-lam in the way they fit. I only know one person who dives a neoprene suit and he wears long underware type garments under it. All drysuits meant for diving have valves.

FAIK, the compressed DUI (CF-200 I think) is one of the most expensive suits, as well as one of the heaviest.

There are alot of websites that show the suits fairly well as to style, features and price.

MD

Back
Top Bottom