Types of Drysuits ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spthomas

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am thinking about a drysuit. After being what I call an 80 cubed diver for 25 years ( 80 degree water x 80 ft. vis x 80 ft depth), I'm learning about this cold water stuff. And in 68 degree water last weekend I was fine in my 3mm fullsuit. With gloves and hood even the 60 degree bottom would have been doable. But, I can see I wouldn't want to stay in 60 degree water very long, or get in much colder water, in a wetsuit. AND, I've already decided if I have to wear 7mm of neoprene (and 20# of weight), I don't want to dive that bad!

So, drysuits. Do I understand correctly that there are two basic types, the neoprene and the shell? And I guess there is a lot of difference? Anyone wanna enlighten a spoiled oldtimer who knows NOTHING about drysuits, and very little about cold water diving?

=Steve=

Very large subject. No, there are actually more types of drysuits than the two you listed, along with scads of options.

I would suggest you check at least the DUI website to see different styles of suits generally available. There are also many posts on this board dealing with your question. You may access those by using the Search button on the main page and looking for "drysuit".

The folks here would be much better able to answer specific questions after you look over whats out there.

Oh, and lots of people use MORE weight with a drysuit than when diving wet. Sorry.

MD

Wow. No way I could do that. In So Cal, I dove a 7mm for a while, and it gets to 60-ish here. Mostly boat diving for me.

The biggest benefit I found is on the SI - while wetties shiver, I'm chilling in my fuzzy 'jammies. That alone has made it worth the ride.

Mech is right - so many choices. Best thing is to narrow down the diving you do today, and maybe look ahead (as a DS will last many times longer than a wetsuit).

For me, it was like this:

TEMP: usually 55 - 65 year round. Sometimes cooler. This will determine your undergarments more than anything else. Although it will impact your suit configuration to a degree (dry gloves, etc.)

TYPE: What type of diving do you do? I get in, I get wet, I come out. Mostly boat, little sand eating. Occasional rocky entry, but 90% off the step. No penetration, no overhead, no hunting, no recovery, no hazmat, no man eating barnacles, no pumpkin carving... I didn't require extreme high mobility (as I'm not working down there) but mobility is important. I get in, I look around, I get out.

TIME: single tank diving. No long deco hangs, nothing preventing me from getting out if something happens. No P-valve for me (altho, as I get older....)

TAPE: does my weight flux alot? getting a custom cut means I better fit into it a year from now. I'm no pasty vegan, but my weight is under control - no prohibitive swings.

I went with a DUI 50/50. There are a lot of great suits out there, but they're a So Cal company, and to me that was important. They're 1 day away via UPS - so when I needed something fixed, I was able to get it to them quickly and get it back quickly.

I like the latex seals, the strechy bottom, and the tough top. I've also dove an Andys- and although I poopooed them for a long time, I've changed my tune. It was a fine suit.

Lots to think about. It'll likely be the highest single investment you make in your diving - your Drysuit. Take your time. Try them on. Dive them. When you get it, take a class.

Whatever you do - do NOT ask if you're supposed to control buoyancy wth your BC or your drysuit.... :boom:

Kidding. That one gets a little warm sometimes...

The search is often the best part of getting new gear. You'll love it.

K

A crushed neoprene drysuit is not really dry, but it allows you to inflate air between yourself and the suit, to keep you warmer. Sometimes these suits are called semi-dry.

A shell suit comes in various constructions, relating to its thickness and durability, called bi-laminate and tri-laminate. You would wear thermals under these, and be quite dry and warm.

A trilaminate shell suit with thermal undergarments is the warmest alternative, and the most expensive.

DUI is not the only reputable drysuit manufacturer. Zeagle makes great drysuits as well. And there are a slew of others.

The beauty of a shell drysuit is that you can wear it half-way on the boat or shore, and stay cool this way, before you must suit up. Also, between dives, all you need to do is dry off your hair, and you will be warm and dry all during your surface interval.

What ever drysuit you get, make sure it has internal suspenders, or else it will keep falling down when you wear it half way, between dives. And if it does not have suspenders, it is probably a low quality suit that you should not look at.

Also, some suits have separate "rock boots" rather than attached boots. I prefer the attached boots instead of the rock boots, myself.

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...
A crushed neoprene drysuit is not really dry, but it allows you to inflate air between yourself and the suit, to keep you warmer. Sometimes these suits are called semi-dry.

DUI is not the only reputable drysuit manufacturer. Zeagle makes great drysuits as well. And there are a slew of others.

What ever drysuit you get, make sure it has internal suspenders, or else it will keep falling down when you wear it half way, between dives. And if it does not have suspenders, it is probably a low quality suit that you should not look at.

I beg to differ on a few of your comments, Karl_in_Calif.

Your "crushed neoprene" comments are totally inaccurate.
(It is my understanding that DUI has the phrase "crushed neoprene" registered right now.) What is widely known in the industry as "compressed neoprene" is NOT a semi-dry. I have a 4mil compressed neoprene drysuit and I stay completely dry in it.

Also, my drysuit does not have internal suspenders in it and it doesn't fall down between dives although being a female, perhaps it's my hips that hold it up. But I wouldn't categorize my suit as a "low quality" suit not worthy of consideration due to the lack of suspenders. It's not the most expensive suit on the market but it works as it is designed to and is appropriate for the type of diving that I do. (40F waters, sharp-edged environments)

Perhaps it would be more helpful to those seeking the information if we all just offer comments on what we KNOW and refrain from making inaccurate statements based solely on speculation.

spthomas - use the search feature here as previously suggested. There have been several posts about the differences in drysuit types. There are good and bad points (trade-offs) to all of them so you will need to apply what your learn to YOUR SPECIFIC type of diving and then make your informed choice. If you have the opportunity to try out some different types of drysuit, definitely do that.

Diverlady

Thanks for the comments all. As I should have imagined, it is a MUCH more complex question than I thought! But you've given me a place to start.

I found out that DUI is doing a Dog Days demo here in Nov, and I'm going today to sign up.

And I particularly agree with Diverlady (only a FOOL would disagree with an explosives expert!).

=Steve=

A trilam shell suit is the warmest alternative?

Please do NOT post about things you OBVIOUSLY know nothing about.

That entire post ranks right up there as one of the stupidest things I've seen on this board in a long time.

It looks like a couple of people (?) really love their crushed neoprene suits. And they are apparently drier than I thought.

I still do not recommend them.

You have much the same heat problems as with a wetsuit, only not quite as bad.

Go with the shell, if you want to be happy. :)

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...
You have much the same heat problems as with a wetsuit, only not quite as bad.

Go with the shell, if you want to be happy. :)

Dude, Do you even dive dry?

Shell suits are not an insulation layer, therefore the insulation must come from your undergarments. Some people wear over 400grams of insulation in the Puget Sound. You'll be diving well over twenty lbs of lead with that kind of undergarment.

Crushed and compressed neoprene suits provide insulation, and because they are compressed/crushed they do not compress under water pressure. I get away with a 100g ug with my CNX. The neoprene drysuits will compress under water pressure similar to wetsuit neoprene, these will require more insulation underneath as you will have the same heat problems as with a shell suit.

The driest suits have latex seals, those with neoprene tend to seap. At least that has been my experience, and when you're wet to the upper arm it's difficult to stay warm especially on a boat between dives.

I too, have to disagree with you Karl. There is no truth to what you're saying. Compressed neoprene drysuits are much warmer than a shell. I had a shell, I can tell you there is no thermal properties inherent in that suit. You have to wear substantially more thermal insulation underneath than with a compressed neoprene. I have dove the compressed neoprene and actually have a Northern Diver CNX compressed neoprene suit on order. To take it a step further, I was intending to order the Northern Diver Cortex shell, but opted for the CNX due to the added warmth inherent in the suit. I can wear considerably less thermal clothing with the compressed neoprene suit.

Traditionally shell suits are more durable and faster drying than neoprene suits, but the drawback is they offer absolutely no thermal protection. Neoprene drysuits offer more thermal protection, but aren't as durable, take a long time to dry, are a little tighter fitting than a shell (or 'bag') suit, and compressed at depth, losing some of their thermal properties.

Compressed neoprene has the flexibility and greater room for movement that the shell has, along with increased durability over the standard neoprene, but has the inherent thermal properties of the neoprene drysuit, and...it doesn't compress at depth. They are quite heavy when wet, and can take a while to dry, but to me, those are two small sacrifices.

A properly fitting drysuit, whether neoprene, shell, or yes COMPRESSED (or crushed) will allow no water inside the suit (barring a hole or tear).

Hope that helps.

wn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom