types of BC's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing to remember is comfort.

Very first pool session on cert. try $1 I had a jacket style BC and it was still to small. Being a big guy (6'7 w/ broad chest/shoulders) it was tough to find rental gear that fit. Had trouble with OW and as a result failed it. Next OW attempt that I did was able to pass because I was able to do the skills, show the instructor I was comfortable (as a novice) under the water because I wasn't fussing with my gear.

Find a local dive shop to help. The week before my OW dive I actually paid a DI to help me get properly fitted with my BP/W, how to use my weight harness, and even did skill review. It cost extra but think extra time with an instructor in a 1:1 situation about gear AND skills was a huge benefit for my cert. dives.

Others have pretty much covered it.

I dive a back inflate now (Scubapro Knighthawk), and I have no problems with it. For the first eight years I dove, I used a jacket style. I never really had trim problems with the jacket style, but I prefer the back inflate.

If you get a back inflate, keep in mind that while you can float vertically at the surface, the bc wants you in a horizontal positions (either on your face or on your back), so make sure you are ok with that.

How you float at the surface depends on the balance between where your lift is, and where your weight is. In a back inflate or backplate system, the lift is all behind you . . . but a lot of us are diving steel tanks, so we have something behind us that seriously wants to sink, and it all balances out. In addition, backplate systems use a crotch strap to prevent the bladder from riding up on your back at the surface, which further decreases the tendency to tip forward.

I've been diving a back inflate or a backplate since I got certified, and I have never, ever, in any exposure protection and tank combination, experienced the gear pushing me face down in the water.

What kind of BC you buy is really a very personal choice. There are a few basic things to consider: It has to FIT. And by fit, I mean it has to be able to cinch down around you enough to keep that tank on your back in a stable position. It is my opinion that this is much easier with a BC that includes some kind of rigid plate in its construction, whether that is plastic and part of the BC, or metal and a component of a system. My husband's SeaQuest Balance, which he really likes, has a plastic plate as part of its design.

Fit can be hard to assess in the shop, because putting the BC on and walking around with it, with no tank and no exposure protection, doesn't give you a very good idea of how it will work when you actually dive it. Sometimes it's pretty easy to adjust something with bare hands, and with no weight hanging off the back of it, but much more difficult to get the straps tightened enough when you have cold hands (or gloves) and 35 pounds of tank on your back.

The second thing is comfort. Some people like the feeling of the BC wrapping around them. Others, like me, find that irritating. I like having as little as possible on the front of me -- this is the design of back inflate and backplate systems. I've also found that Velcro fatigues quickly on dive gear, so I don't like any BC that depends on a Velcro cummerbund for stability.

If you are going to opt for a BC with pockets, make sure the pockets are easy to access using the exposure protection you will need. If you have to wear thick gloves, it may be difficult to get to the zipper and get it open. Some pockets are virtually unusable underwater -- you can't see them, and with thick gloves, you can't feel the zipper pulls, either.

Another aspect of a BC to consider is how you will carry your weights. Many BCs have integrated weight systems. If this attracts you, assess how they work -- how securely are the weights held, and how easily can they be removed (realizing, of course, that the two things are fundamentally incompatible!) Also find out if the BC has trim pockets (small pockets in the back that will accept additional weights) and if so, look at WHERE the trim pockets are. If you need to distribute some weight to get yourself horizontal in the water, you may need to put some weight up on your back, and if the trim pockets are at waist height, they aren't very useful.

I'm a backplate person, myself -- I find it hard to resist a system that's entirely modular, completely adjustable, reduces the total ballast I have to carry, improves my horizontal balance, and leaves the whole front of me free. BUT . . . I have to wear a weight belt (I don't mind) and I have to have pockets on my exposure protection (which I also don't mind), and both added to the cost.

The best thing about a backplate system? It makes mounting a canister light easy!

I am looking for my first BC. I have read many things about back inflation types and jacket types. I will be diving the great lakes if this is a factor in choosing a type. I saw the aqualung zuma at my LDS. It looks pretty small for what i'll have on (drysuit, Al 80). Any advice on which type and specific BC's to look at for my first BC.
Thanks. Jason
The Zuma is a nice BC. Small and light weight, great for traveling.

Keep in mind, most any BC made today will outlast your desire to own it. Just make sure it fits right and you adjust it properly.

For me, I have sold most of my other BC's in favor of the APEKS WTX Harness system. I can take the plate out for easy travel, use different (lift) wings for all tank configurations. It's a great system.

I think i have narrowed to to two BC's
Seaquest black diamond
Scubapro Knighthawk.

Which one is the better one is your opinion and why?

I can't speak as to either of those two BC's, but I'd like to agree with what TSandM wrote:
There are a few basic things to consider: It has to FIT. And by fit, I mean it has to be able to cinch down around you enough to keep that tank on your back in a stable position. It is my opinion that this is much easier with a BC that includes some kind of rigid plate in its construction, whether that is plastic and part of the BC, or metal and a component of a system.

If you look at a scuba tank you'll notice that they're typically cylinders about 7 1/4" in diameter. Here's the thing, your back isn't contoured to fit a cylinder like that. BC's without plates in them will look and feel great in the shop, but when you cinch up the tank straps you'll notice that they pick up the same contour as a scuba tank.

Seaquest black diamond
Scubapro Knighthawk.

Have you had a chance to try several types of BCs in the water while diving? Were there things that you particularly liked/disliked about them? The two options you are proposing are back inflate BCs, what made you zero in on those two particular models? Without a little bit more information it is difficult to give you a good answer that fits your needs ...
I would personally go for the BP/W combination: it can be adjusted to your body extremely well, it keeps the tanks always in the same relative position to you and the modular nature means it is easily adapted to different types of diving. Having said that, I would not recommend getting a BPW without having had the chance to try that type of system in the water so ...

Seaquest black diamond
Scubapro Knighthawk.

Both are good BCDs but I have dove a Knighthawk for the last 4 years, and I still would not trade it, so see if you can get in the pool with both and see which one YOU like more.

i like the weight pocket clips on the scuba pro better. the 2009/2010 pull tab on the seaquest/aqualung have been breaking in our rental fleet. I like the inflator/deflate buttons on the aqualung products better, and I like the pockets on the aqualung, but I find the scubapro stuff looks newer longer....

i'm no help....

Try them!!

I dive up in your area, and have found that what seems fine in the pool may not be once you are out on the lake. If you can rent the ones you are looking at, do it. It's the only way to know how you like it when swimming to the line, at the surface waiting for something, or at depth. no matter what anyone says, fully inflated on lake huron is much different from floating in a pool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom