Tyler State Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moostang

Reaction score
Not sure if any of you dive Tyler State Park. My father goes to alot of state parks and has a season pass. He got me one for 15 dollars. I dive TSP alot since I have a season pass and I live in tyler. So it costs nothing but a tank refill to dive there for us.

Current Conditions: 76 on the surface, 60 at about 18 ft.

Point of this thread is I wanted to share a lil Fish Story, hehe, so to speak. My cousin tends to have less spending cash than a homeless man stranded on a deserted island. So we decided to go diving at TSP a yesterday. There is a well known brush pile about 40 feet from a common dive entrance. There is a HUGE bass and 2-3 nice sized catfish that hang around there among alot of other smaller fish.

Yesterday, we spent an entire dive at the brush pile due to a smaller bass that caught our attention, or caught us hehe. This bass was more like a puppy than a fish. My cousin and I strattled a log on the bottom. This bass stayed inbetween us. It would come up to our masks like it wanted a kiss and would eat our bubbles. It would even let us scratch it's chin like someone would do to a cat. It LIKED us to pet it. I say it liked it cause it would rub itself against our hands and would only run from us to chase brim and other bass away.... like it was jealous. The huge bass was just hovering about 4 feet away and it was the only fish the Pet Bass didnt try to chase off.

I've never seen a bass or any fish so friendly before.... especially to let us pet it at will and not even act scared at all.

Moostang

We've had a couple of 8-10" bass act like this on recent dives. They wouldn't let us touch them but they sure liked our masks. Acted like Damsels! What's really unusual is the bass have always been the skittish fish. Those blasted perch will perester you to death!

Moostang:
Not sure if any of you dive Tyler State Park. My father goes to alot of state parks and has a season pass. He got me one for 15 dollars. I dive TSP alot since I have a season pass and I live in tyler. So it costs nothing but a tank refill to dive there for us.

My dive club had an outing there back in April, despite the tstorms we got in a couple of dives. The club usually makes that an early spring outing since the water warms quickly because it's not a deep lake. It was clearer this year than I've seen it in quite awhile. Saw some large bass and crappie. Gotta stay away from the shore though as people tend to be casting. Surfaced near the park store just out of casting range and some guy on shore yelled that he though we were a school of fish and had been casting toward us!

Danny
www.divingrebels.org

Dee:
Those blasted perch will perester you to death!

Yea, we've had many perch nibble on our ears. Can't seem to get ride of them lol.

txbohunk:
Surfaced near the park store just out of casting range and some guy on shore yelled that he though we were a school of fish and had been casting toward us!

LMAO!!

I live pretty close to TSP, well about 35 miles away. What is the vis like, approximately? I had been told that it's a mudhole, but I would like to have a cheap place to dive and this sounds like it would be. Thanks!

Foo:
I live pretty close to TSP, well about 35 miles away. What is the vis like, approximately? I had been told that it's a mudhole, but I would like to have a cheap place to dive and this sounds like it would be. Thanks!

At best it gets up to 15 ft....i'd say an average of 6-10 ft. There is a brush pile that makes it worth while due to the fish. Bring a can or two of Vienna Sausages convienently sold at the store at the entrance of the park, the fish love them. Also if you bring lights...the dam has some nicely sized catfish but it's dark below the thermal there.

capelli:
will be diving tyler state park this sunday

derrick

I'd join you but i have to work this sunday :(

well i hate you have to work but maybe next time .

derrick

Moostang:

Point of this thread is I wanted to share a lil Fish Story, hehe, so to speak. My cousin tends to have less spending cash than a homeless man stranded on a deserted island. So we decided to go diving at TSP a yesterday. There is a well known brush pile about 40 feet from a common dive entrance. There is a HUGE bass and 2-3 nice sized catfish that hang around there among alot of other smaller fish.

Yesterday, we spent an entire dive at the brush pile due to a smaller bass that caught our attention, or caught us hehe. This bass was more like a puppy than a fish. My cousin and I strattled a log on the bottom. This bass stayed inbetween us. It would come up to our masks like it wanted a kiss and would eat our bubbles. It would even let us scratch it's chin like someone would do to a cat. It LIKED us to pet it. I say it liked it cause it would rub itself against our hands and would only run from us to chase brim and other bass away.... like it was jealous. The huge bass was just hovering about 4 feet away and it was the only fish the Pet Bass didnt try to chase off.

I've never seen a bass or any fish so friendly before.... especially to let us pet it at will and not even act scared at all.

Moostang

Moostang,

Can you give me directions to this brush pile? I have been to one between the swimming area and the dock on the left..and out a little ways...My wife and I will be out there soon for a day of diving. I hope to get to see your new friend. Thanks...

Kenny

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom