Tyler SP Trash Fest Scuba Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debraw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
We had a great time at the Trash Fest yesterday in Tyler! Thanks to Scuba Steve's Aquatic Adventures and the sponsors! It was a very well organized safe event. Tyler State Park is beautiful and I can not wait to go next year. I think as soon as word gets around this will be a huge event. There were thousands of dollars in prizes with at least 12 major prizes. The weather was great. I estimate at least 50 to 75 divers and it seemed like at least that many people were helping! There was a BBQ pit going and the hot dogs/hamburgers were readily available. No line! Lots of drinks and waters on hand. There was an EMS team standing by at all times. There were divers out in the water with the kids while they had their snorkel treasure hunt. There were people in kayaks and boats monitoring the outside area of the roped off sections to make sure divers did not venture to far out. The staff had radios to communicate and everyone knew what was going on at all times. There were lifeguards monitoring the swim area. The water temp was 72 degrees and the thermocline dropped to 61 when you went to about 20 feet. Visibility was about 12 feet but a lot less in the swim area. The trash fest started at 10AM , everyone was briefed thoroughly. Lunch was after that and then the Treasure Hunt at 1PM. I saw Timeliner and Foo out there from the Scubaboard crew. It looked like everyone had a great time. Families came out and laid out blankets on the grassy areas, kids swam and played games and divers did their thing. We had a really great day in a beautiful State Park. I would definitely consider camping at this park. I hope to see you all next year!

I'd say Ditto to what you just said Debra ! I went there thinking that a couple of folks would show up ( maybe) and that ya'll would show too with a few folks. What a surprise! After the Treasure Hunt Foo and I went out to check out this little spot they call the "brush pile" It's only in about 7 to 12 feet of water but the fish are really packed in there!! We just held on to the logs and watched the fish for about 1/2 an hour at least in one place. What a deal ! I think a person could stay there for hours and just watch.

I agree, Debra- I thought the event was extremely well thought-out and planned for everyone's safety and enjoyment. Beautiful weather, nice people, great prizes and food. Even providing the Winnsboro Fire Dept. to do air fills, that was cool. The event benefited the Scottish Rite Hospital, the fire dept. donated all the proceeds from the air fills to the fundraiser, also.

Timeliner, I agree that the brush pile was awesome. The vis was poor in the afternoon, so after we explored a bit, we went back to the brush pile and just chilled out there, hanging with the fishies. That was very relaxing and enjoyable. If Timeliner got over 5-6 ft from me, I had a hard time making him out (except his green fins saved the day), but most of the fish were within 6" to 24" from us, from baby perch to full grown bass. Like an aquarium. Very nice way to end the day, thanks Timeliner!

Foo

Back
Top Bottom