TX50 vs Flathead6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am trying to decide between the Zeagle and the Apex. I am looking at packages from two different LDS. One carries Apex and the other carries Zeagle. The packages have the same OMS bp/w set-up but the regs are different and so are the computers.

If you are looking for an Apeks ATX100/200 or a Zeagle Flathead reg. You cann't go wrong since both of them are great regs.

I thought you might interested in a new Zeagle Flathead reg. I have one for sell.

What is the difference between a low preasure port and a medium preasure port. I noticed today that the Flathead has LP while the DST has MP. How does the difference affect me? Also, several people have said that the Flathead is more comparable to the TX100. Wouldn't that mean it would be better than a TX50? Does anyone know which 1st stage comes with the TX100?

scubatexastony:
any one actually own a Zeagle flathead or DS4 or have several dives on a " borrowed" setup? From the history I've read, Zeagle handled the Apex line then improved the design when they went to SP the on to USD... The ZX does breath dryer than the apex.

tm
I use the Apeks DS4/ATX50 on a 7' for my primary and just bought a Zeagle D50/ZX for my backup. I only have a few dives on the latter, but it breathes the same as the Apeks at all depths. I can't tell the difference. I like the cosmetics on the Apeks better, and the adjustment knob is metal vs plastic. I also bought an Apeks TX100, but returned it before using it since I thought it was an ATX. I like the smaller size of the ATX line. I own quite a bit of Zeagle equipment, and I am very happy with the quality and company backing.

I borrowed an ATX200 first stage from a buddy and put it on my DS4. I could not tell the difference between his 200 and my 50. It must be in the 1st stage. I like the DS4 1st stage better than the new ATX100/200 1st stage as far as bulk and hose routing.

My Zeagle D50 and my Apeks DS4 seem to be the same, but again Zeagle uses a little plastic instead of metal. The DIN fitting has a plastic ring vs metal on the Apeks.

I have a Zeagle 50D/ZX; several of my friends have Apeks ATX200s. We have dove each others' regs (and wings, and fins... gotta try it all out) and I honestly couldn't tell the difference. I love my Zeagle, they love their Apeks - either way you go, you'll have an excellent regulator that will last for a very long time.

The Flathead is essentially the same as the 50D, but comes in a lower profile that might be more attractive to cave and wreck divers. According to Zeagle literature, it may have a more "direct path" for airflow, but the 50D is already a very high-flow, high performance reg. Now that the annoying swivel has been removed from all of the good Zeagle first stages, I'd recon that the only significant advantage of the more expensive Flathead is its low profile.

sndt1319:
What is the difference between a low preasure port and a medium preasure port. I noticed today that the Flathead has LP while the DST has MP.

No difference. Technically, a regulator's first stage has two outputs: high pressure, which is a direct pass-through of cylinder pressure so you may attach an SPG; and "intermediate pressure," which is significantly lower than cylinder pressure but still far too high to breathe directly. The second stage further reduces the intermediate pressure to proper breathing pressure.

So when talking first stages, low pressure = medium pressure = intermediate pressure.

Xevious:
I have a Zeagle 50D/ZX; several of my friends have Apeks ATX200s. We have dove each others' regs (and wings, and fins... gotta try it all out) and I honestly couldn't tell the difference. I love my Zeagle, they love their Apeks - either way you go, you'll have an excellent regulator that will last for a very long time.

The Flathead is essentially the same as the 50D, but comes in a lower profile that might be more attractive to cave and wreck divers. According to Zeagle literature, it may have a more "direct path" for airflow, but the 50D is already a very high-flow, high performance reg. Now that the annoying swivel has been removed from all of the good Zeagle first stages, I'd recon that the only significant advantage of the more expensive Flathead is its low profile.

The differences can be found by comparing themthe same way youwould compare a TX100 and TX50. The 50 has a swivel turret which can make life easier for hose routing. The 100 (flathead) has the MP ports situated closer to the air source so arguably the air is more direct when you breath.

Zeagle FH VI = BEST IMO

I have one and love it!

Ultimate reg IMO... Poseidon makes some awesome regs also!

rescuediver009:
The 50 has a swivel turret which can make life easier for hose routing.
You can order them any way you want. I ordered my ATX50 with a DS4. Makes it nice for your specific application.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom