TX Flower Gardens...too much for just OW cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hemlon

Contributor
Reaction score
My honey and I are considering a 2005 trip to the Flower Gardens.
She only has an OW cert with about 10-12 dives logged.

Is this trip going to be too much for her?

Thanks!

You answered your own question with the word "JUST". It apppears that maybe you think she does not have enough experience with "Just an OW cert." Why don't you have her do a refresher course before going so she can gain confidence. Take her to Lake Travis..Being a newly certified AOW diver myself I would not have a problem with the Flower Gardens but everyone is different. What does she think?

goofystan:
You answered your own question with the word "JUST". It apppears that maybe you think she does not have enough experience with "Just an OW cert." Why don't you have her do a refresher course before going so she can gain confidence. Take her to Lake Travis..Being a newly certified AOW diver myself I would not have a problem with the Flower Gardens but everyone is different. What does she think?

It's just the opposite. I think she would do just fine. She has proven herself to be very competent and level-headed during our dives in Honduras, Cozumel and yes, Lake Travis.

She just isn't sure if she's ready to NOT be within visual distance from a DM. Mind you, I have taken AOW, EFR and I will soon take my rescue course.

I don't want her to do anything she isn't comfortable doing. Thus, my inquiry to gain more info.

How does she do in currents? What about rough surface conditions? If she's leary of getting away from the mooring line, she can easily stay within sight of it and still have a great dive.

I'd be more concerned with how she'll handle the conditions should they be/get hinky. It also depends on what time of year you go. August and Sept. are the best months for good consistant conditions.

Hemlon:
It's just the opposite. I think she would do just fine. She has proven herself to be very competent and level-headed during our dives in Honduras, Cozumel and yes, Lake Travis.

She just isn't sure if she's ready to NOT be within visual distance from a DM. Mind you, I have taken AOW, EFR and I will soon take my rescue course.

I don't want her to do anything she isn't comfortable doing. Thus, my inquiry to gain more info.

Oh I see....Check with your local dive shop they may have a trip planned to the Flower Gardens where a DiveMaster will be diving also. I understand where she is coming from. I felt the same way. I felt confident and secure however, I still wanted my DiveMaster close by just in case I needed him. It was a security blankett for me.

Dee:
How does she do in currents? What about rough surface conditions? If she's leary of getting away from the mooring line, she can easily stay within sight of it and still have a great dive.

I'd be more concerned with how she'll handle the conditions should they be/get hinky. It also depends on what time of year you go. August and Sept. are the best months for good consistant conditions.

Good things to consider! I think it might be best if we delay our trip until Aug-Sept so that she can take the AOW class and we can have better conditions.

BTW, good to "see" you again, Dee!

Hemlon:
Good things to consider! I think it might be best if we delay our trip until Aug-Sept so that she can take the AOW class and we can have better conditions.

BTW, good to "see" you again, Dee!

AOW & Nitrox would be best--all the dives are to 70+ ft.

On the "yes" side, you will have very good visibility, warm water, good boat management, and anchor line with tag line and safety stop station. A great deal to see within sight of the anchor line, so navigation is not necessarily an issue.

On the "maybe" side, they are deep dives with a little to a lot of current to deal with--so gas management, buoyancy control, and comfort in the water are very important.

Ultimately, what is her confidence level? If she believes she is up to it, she probably is.

theskull

I just hope everyone realizes that the decision to dive or not to dive is entirely hers. I don't think anyone has the right to pressure her in either direction.

Dee:

As Dee said. Conditions at the Banks are highly variable, from fairly nice to quite difficult. For new divers I would rule out cruises in any but late May-September time periods. Lake Travis is a walk in the park compared to what you can often expect at the Banks.
The rule of thumb I've heard from the sanctuary staff and monitoring teams is a good one.
"Hope for the best, expect the worst".

Our own local university scuba club does not recommend FGBNMS trips without completing Advanced certs and/or having a moderate amount of experience in deep/rough waters.

You might want to read my original post again, cowboy. No implication was made regarding pressure to dive. My intent, as stated, was to gather info on the suitability of this dive site for someone with her stated experience and training.

By Jester:
"I just hope everyone realizes that the decision to dive or not to dive is entirely hers. I don't think anyone has the right to pressure her in either direction."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom