Two Swampers visit Blue Water Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YellowfinKunkfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
First I want to say that everyone at Captain John's, and all the divers we met in Oronogo on Saturday (several from Scubaboard) were all very friendly, and we had a great time visiting!! Just wish we could've had more time!

The diving......not so much.

Not going to go into a lot of detail, but thought I would post some pointers for those of you who may decide to visit Captain John's in the future.

#1. There are piranha perch there too!!! They may look tiny and cute, but they are not! (ask Kory about his lip! :rofl3: )

#2. Be prepared for a LONG hike down to the water, in your 7 mil, AND your hood, AND your gloves, etc.... and don't forget when your done with your dive, and you're already tired, you have the same LONG hike all the way back UP the hill.......:11:

#3. The dog may look innocent, but he WILL pee on your tarp, and whatever equipment you may have lying on it. :shakehead

#4. Last but not least, any kind of *blue water* that comes from a quarry, should be immediately rinsed off your gear, and anything else that may have come in contact. Do not do what we did, and wait until you get home the next evening. Anything that smells like that, can't be good for your gear.

Now, don't get me wrong, this is a really nice place to visit, and we met lots of very fine people! We did feel as though it was a little bit out of our experience level, (depth, cold, weighting issues, scary cavern openings) and were not comfortable in the water at all. We missed our swamp.:) We are happy to be back home, and can't wait to get back out to CSSP so we can get back into some good 'ol fresh smelling Texas swampy lake water.

Here are some pics, one of the quarry, and one of the LONG hike. I'm sure it's a great place for cave divers, tech divers, and other more experienced divers, (or just divers that are used to the place!) Just not for us!
Bluewater1.jpg

Bluewater2.jpg

Where is this quarry?

Bruce

TxWingnut:
Where is this quarry?

Bruce

Just north of Joplin Mo..

And its up for sale if anyone wants a deep 200+ffw quarry...$

Question--- had the pool been ripped out?

Are there any fish in this lake?

Foo, There are at least 3. One of which decided to jump out of the water and taste my lip:11:

The pool is still there and in use.

I think for more experienced divers, this would be a cool place to dive. Not to mention the cave stuff, which at this point in my diving, I find rather scary and overwhelming.

It did make us appreciate what we actually do have down and CSSP and Lake Murray though. The vis is about the same and I'm sure changes from time to time, but what's better down here is #1 both places are within an hour from me, and #2 the facilities are alot cleaner and nicer. You wouldn't be able to camp very comfortably at the oronogo site. Basically there is a parking area, and the ramp to the water.

I'm not sure I would cough up any bucks to buy the place though. Another diver was telling me it's part of the "Superfund" sites that needs cleanup. Whatever that means.

Boy does that water get cold in a hurry! Between 25 and 44', it was in the low 50's!
I was very proud of Rhonda for getting out there and trying some new stuff. She learned alot(although she doesn't realize it yet), and meeting some fellow board members is what made the trip for me.

That damn dog needs to be kept away from peoples gear though.....That's just not right...

Duh, Kunk- sorry for the redundant question! It seems that the "blue holes" in Texas aren't able to accomodate life, so my mind wandered off there when I looked at the pics. Looks like a pretty place to visit, anyway! See you and Mrs.Kunk soon at CSSP!

Kunk35:

I'm not sure I would cough up any bucks to buy the place though. Another diver was telling me it's part of the "Superfund" sites that needs cleanup. Whatever that means.

Kory -- superfund sites are part of the Federal EPA programs to remediate soil and ground water contamination. The type of contamination varies from site to site, but suffice it to say, having your property on the Superfund list is not a marketing point. :no:no

Six Flags is a Super Fun Site Too !

Timeliner:
Six Flags is a Super Fun Site Too !

Frank's genius is so misunderstood. :god:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom