Two OOA divers in Boynton Beach last week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This almost happened to me, it was my second dive after OW cert, we were going down a pipeline and when I reached 1000psi I let the DM know, we started back, but were going slow. Well about half way I was at 500psi and I let him know again, and we picked up a little speed I made it back to the boat with 250psi. How do you handle a situation when you've let the dive master know that you're low on air? :confused:

dont call it a pressure gauge, better call it your life gauge, when it hits zero you are dead,
this is something most people can understand to remember.

Gauge calibrations can be off. Relying on it to say zero to indicate you're truly out of air just adds in more complacency, IMO. It's possible to run out of air with a gauge still showing 500+ psi.

In my mind, it's better to teach them gas management skills and how to deal with unexpected gas emergencies than it is to try and create a blanket statement or rule of thumb for people to follow.

This almost happened to me, it was my second dive after OW cert, we were going down a pipeline and when I reached 1000psi I let the DM know, we started back, but were going slow. Well about half way I was at 500psi and I let him know again, and we picked up a little speed I made it back to the boat with 250psi. How do you handle a situation when you've let the dive master know that you're low on air? :confused:

As a new diver, it should have been made clear when you were low on air ( 1000 to 750), you would be on your way to the surface...and I am NOT talking about this being the time to retrace steps to anchor line or other point on the bottom...this is the time you are begining your descent....the agreement you SHOULD have with the DM, would be that since you are new, HE/SHE shoul;d be going UP with you, when you indicate low on air, and point thumbs up, divwe over...there should have been no issue at all, if this was discussed prior to the dive...

If there was no discussion with the DM, then it would only be you and your buddy involved, and when either hit 1000, as new divers, this really would be the time to signal dive is over, and to begin your ascent with buddy. There would be no excuse for below 750.

Agree with DanV!

A few things to stress for all new divers.
1. Air is your responsibility and yours alone.
2. You are your buddies redundancy, low air situations put the TEAM at risk.
3. A thumb is not a question, and it is not to be debated or ignored. It means the dive is OVER up we go.
4. Plan you dives and dive your plans!

Most OOA's are preventable.

I often dive with a specific exit bar as a goal

It seems quite invaluable, in curbing
the extra air use that comes with the
anxiety of thinking you may end with
less than zero

dont call it a pressure gauge, better call it your life gauge, when it hits zero you are dead,
this is something most people can understand to remember.

I doubt you'll find anyone on ScubaBoard more vocally pro-gas management than me ... and even I don't believe that. In fact, I think making that statement is counterproductive, because it's so clearly not true.

When you run out of air you are not dead ... you are in a bad place that was completely avoidable, and you'd better be prepared to get yourself out of it. That preparation starts with maintaining a calm demeanor and thinking your way through a solution to the situation. Whether that solution involves going to your buddy for gas, making an emergency ascent to the surface, or relying on a redundant source of air that you are carrying, you have a relatively short window of opportunity to act before the situation becomes life-threatening. But you are not dead until that window closes.

A couple years ago I was diving off a charter boat out in Neah Bay. Between dives I was outside talking to the crew as she was filling tanks, and she said "watch this". Reaching over to a nearby rig, she gave the tank valve a spin, and to my amazement, it was completely loose. "Did that guy run his tank out of air?" I asked? She told me "He does that every dive." What truly amazed me was that neither this guy's rig nor his wife's had a redundant second stage ... these were old rigs, and old divers. Apparently they have a "system" where they dive until he runs completely out of air ... then they make a CESA.

I wouldn't do it ... and I definitely wouldn't promote it as a very prudent thing to do. But it apparently works for them ... they've been diving like that for more than 30 years and they ain't dead yet.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Up in Jupiter they run guided dives. Many new divers incorrectly assume they are safe in this
gaggle of divers. Unless someone has said directly to you " I am your buddy and I will start and finish
this dive with you " you DO NOT have a buddy. Unless you have paid someone directly above and beyond
the price of the charter to be your buddy or brought along your own buddy you DO NOT have a buddy.
After realizing this decide yourself whether you should or should not be making the dive.

If you weren't going to be buddied with them, why was this a concern?

I'm all for watching out for other divers when I'm the more experienced person, but by your account you're not a DM and you weren't buddied up with them so I'm a bit confused at your apparent drive to take charge of their safety.

He is/was a paramedic. It's second nature and since he didn't see the DM address any safety concerns with the newbs he went ahead and did it himself. I'm sorta on the fence on this one but i agree that intervention opens up liability.

He is/was a paramedic. It's second nature and since he didn't see the DM address any safety concerns with the newbs he went ahead and did it himself. I'm sorta on the fence on this one but i agree that intervention opens up liability.

I get that. To a point. But I don't see any paramedics giving me advice on how to drive safely. Or how to cross the street. Or anything else, and I know quite a few. The description given just seems to me to cross the line of concern into nanny.

Back
Top Bottom