Two OOA divers in Boynton Beach last week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curious if you happen to know the dive shop that the couple used that did the check out dives at Rawlings?

Roger, I admire your zeal, but if you (as just another person on the boat) gave me that ("Mr. Mom") treatment I would tell you to pound sand.

Even if you were a paid DM on the boat, your actions were almost counterproductive when compared against the divers continuing in the sport safely.

...a little bit of balance goes a long way...

All the best, James

No, I get that. And they can choose to receive however they like. I hope they choose to accept good advice and live to dive a long time. I wish someone had told me some of the stupid things I was doing early on. I probably wouldn't have rec'd it so well then either.

No, I get that. And they can choose to receive however they like. I hope they choose to accept good advice and live to dive a long time. I wish someone had told me some of the stupid things I was doing early on. I probably wouldn't have rec'd it so well then either.

It is what it is.

There are lots of ways to instruct without getting preachy.

That you got to know these divers experience level and backgrounds is a good indicator your well on your way to helping.

Rather than making them practice dumping weights,
next time just ask them about their gear and how it works. "Hey that's a cool BC haven't seen one before, how do you dump the lead?"
Or do a LOUD buddy check with YOUR buddy and focus on your area of concern.

As to the emergencies
If you don't already have the rescue class, take it, or go further and take a DM class.
Without the training, it's best to stay out of the way and quiet until your assistance is requested or no better options remain.
Keeping an eye on the struggling diver is always plus in case the boat needs to move for a recovery.

Good points. I took the dive rescue class 12 years ago and I was an EMT-P paramedic for seven years. I didn't scream at this group...but I didn't laugh it off either. I was professional and pointed out their mistakes and omissions, and how they could improve their safety.

Well, at least they are not in your buddy team. I know how you feel. I have dived with randome buddy that left me very stressful underwater. I am glad that I have a team of very reliable buddies now. My SCR drop by 30% when diving with them.

"Well, at least they are not in your buddy team."

If he'd been teamed with them... he'd have every right to "complain loudly"
Those tanks they sucked dry were HIS redundant supply and not theirs to use!

My SCR drop by 30% when diving with them.
I stopped relying on pickup buddies long ago, just configure for solo.

It takes a long time to be a good team.

Yes, 2 OOA out of the same group, but it was two males paired up with their wives, so each ran out of air away from the other, but next to each otehr. In each case, their buddy\wives came up with plenty of air. One wife came up with her husband, and complained that he ended her dive early. The other stayed down longer with the capt\dive guide. I didn't ask or get specifics, but my assumption was that they lost track of air because they were working too hard in the drift dive, but knew they were low on air at some point and came up from 60 ft. Pre-dive I told them to relax with the drift dive, to "fly like superman" and not to fight the current, unless they needed to do something to stay on the reef. Boynton Beach requires some cross-crabbing at times to stay on the reef.

I'd also like to know MORE about what all happened underwater.

2 OOA on the same dive within the same group?

Not enough info IMO to get anything from this YET?

Please offer more details if you can.

Thanks

I was kinda grouped with them, but I picked the one other experienced and camera guy (I was shooting video) to buddy with. But with a six pack boat, the captain\dive guide said he would us (the more experienced) buddies off first with the dive flag and that the rest of them would follow. As is not unexpected, they didn't join us until much later on in the dive (not sure what happened), but as I was going up, I ran into them drift along (although one of them was briefly caught up in the drift dive flag line as I went by...he untangled himself). At that point, I was the first to go up and the only guy on the boat besides the driver when the rest of the event started unfolding. The captain\guide didn't come up for another 45 minutes in total, he was bug hunting along with my original buddy. On a related note, I'm still amazed that they were down for 1:15-1:30 on regular alum 80's, while I was done after 45 minutes (rushing around filming everything at depth). But that left me with the 4 new divers for 45 minutes...so we had time to discuss things.

If he'd been teamed with them... he'd have every right to "complain loudly"
Those tanks they sucked dry were HIS redundant supply and not theirs to use!

I stopped relying on pickup buddies long ago, just configure for solo.

It takes a long time to be a good team.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom